PDA

View Full Version : Best Substrate?

Full3R
10-22-2006, 03:10 AM
What is the best substrate i can put in my Spiny Eel tank, he is with 4 barramundi, 1 red empress and 8 black widow tetras all under 5 inches?

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 03:15 AM
I would think a finer gravel he can burrow in. I have fine gravel in all my tanks and prefer it over the larger stone.

Where I live there is no petshops so finding gravel is not the easiest trick around. I've now gone to town 4 times for 5 bags of gravel. :(

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Where are you finding it Hobbs? I have found one bag at Petsmart and that is all. I am hoping they will have more on Tuesday when they get their shipment. I need 36 pounds total and only have 10 at the moment. I haven't even found anywhere online to order it. I wonder why it is so hard to find when so many fish prefer it?

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I know it can be purchased in "grades" but I was lucky enough to find the smaller stones at my local department store here........a store similar to Walmarts. Problem is, they are always out of it or down to one or two bags. I needed 5-25 pound bags for my 55 gallon aquarium and could only set it up with 2 bags as they never had enough. I returned again and again and bought another bag each time and just kept adding to the aquarium.

I went there again yesterday and this gravel was on sale for $9.99 instead of 12.99 but once again, only one bag left in the store so asked for a raincheck. I will buy it ahead of time for my next aquarium! I would have liked to have black but will settle for the dark blue if it's cheap enough. After awhile, anything you save is worth it.

What I'm using is called Estes Spectra stone. Dark blue but has a glint to it. Kinda sparklie looking with lights on.

NorthernBoy
10-22-2006, 03:55 PM
have you 2 checked landscapeing companies. ask for rounded river stones, or crushed flagstone or crushed bluestone. I get all my rocks at quarreys and landscape companies. I just bought about 60 lbs for 9 cents a lb.

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Great price for sure!

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Are the crushed flagstone and crushed bluestone fine enough for burrowing fish? If so I might have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

NorthernBoy
10-23-2006, 05:45 AM
you have to check wuth your local companies. mine has a variety of sizes.

jeffs99dime
10-31-2006, 06:33 AM
I know it can be purchased in "grades" but I was lucky enough to find the smaller stones at my local department store here........a store similar to Walmarts. Problem is, they are always out of it or down to one or two bags. I needed 5-25 pound bags for my 55 gallon aquarium and could only set it up with 2 bags as they never had enough. I returned again and again and bought another bag each time and just kept adding to the aquarium.

I went there again yesterday and this gravel was on sale for $9.99 instead of 12.99 but once again, only one bag left in the store so asked for a raincheck. I will buy it ahead of time for my next aquarium! I would have liked to have black but will settle for the dark blue if it's cheap enough. After awhile, anything you save is worth it.

What I'm using is called Estes Spectra stone. Dark blue but has a glint to it. Kinda sparklie looking with lights on.

spectra stone is the best stone you can get. i love it. the best part is there's so many varieties and minimal dust factor. --jeff