PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh.... does my food have dye in it??

siymdapolio
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I just realized that the food that i have bought said color enhancing but with all natural ingredients and minerals to bring out the natural color it says but....

I am worried because i dont want to be feeding them dye on bit! Specially after reading tons about dyed fish! I want them to be natural DAm**T!!!

heres a url to my food http://www.petdiscounters.com/c330/c819/Aqueon-Color-Enhancing-Marine-Flakes-p7825.html

To my understandin it sounds like it just enhances color but i want to be absolutely sure that it has absolutely no dye!

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Lots of the food has that. It's fine and would not be sold if it wasn't.

cocoa_pleco
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
yeah, there wouldnt be dye in it, its natural

siymdapolio
03-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Phew! Great i just noticed it said COLOR ENHANCING and got a little freaked! haha thanks for the quick responses most appreciated!

Algenco
03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Naturose is most the commonly used "color enhancer"

NATUROSE

NatuRose« is a natural source of astaxanthin, derived from a unique strain of the micro algae Haematococcus pluvialis. The majority of the NatuRose carotenoid fraction is astaxanthin, with about 15% of the remaining fraction consisting of canthaxanthin, lutein and beta-carotene. This highly concentrated form of natural astaxanthin has been carefully formulated into a fine, free flowing dark red powder and is an essential nutritional requirement and a pigment source for aquatic animals

siymdapolio
03-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Thank you algenco that is wha ti was looking for i was actually starting to google every single ingerdient that i did not know what it was and you beat me to it by know ing it and thats what i like! :thumb:!

Algenco
03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
happy to help

Sasquatch
03-21-2008, 06:01 PM
There's a difference with dyed fish and fish that eat color enhancing dyes.

Dyed fish have had their skin/scales chemically treated to remove the slime coat and had chemical colorants injected or been totally dipped in dyes. This weakens them and makes them more susceptible to disease.

Fish eating color enhancers or dyes is perfectly normal and doesn't affect their health negatively. It's one of the reasons that the colors in aquarium fish are so bright.

siymdapolio
03-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks sasquatch i knew how dyeing accured but wasnt sure about this color enhacning thanks for clearing this all up thanks all of you!:c1: