PDA

View Full Version : Spelling mistakes

Wild Turkey
03-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I figure i'll start a thread to point out spelling errors so they can be corrected more easily. I'll start

Buy gift option says "This will allow you to a gift for another member."

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Not understanding this post at all.

YaYgoldFish
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
He is saying he will point out the spelling errors from the forum so that it makes it less harder on William.

Rue
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Careful! Pointing out spelling errors will get you branded - and NOT in a good way! :laugh1blue:

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
William has nothing to do with spelling errors.

And, I already know I misspell and really don't need it pointed out to me. LOL I'm here to learn about fish, not how to spell.

Oops. I think I mispelled "misspell". LOL We have people here for all over the world. And tolerance is a good thing?

RUE..........you're nuts. You would NEVER BE BANNED unless you ran naked thru the forum.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-21-2008, 04:36 PM
LOL, eye gut a gud egukashun so eye can tell wen eye spel wurds rong. :)

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
LOLOL Most of mine, I think, is just hurrying too much. My fingers won't keep up with what I want to say.

cocoa_pleco
03-21-2008, 05:12 PM
lol, yeah, as long as the word isnt butchered its not a issue

the most ironic one is in the profile options, college is spelt collage

Wild Turkey
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
It just looks more professional when ur not like "We are greatest fish site usa" u know what i mean, not that i give a crap, but better looking = more adds = more $$ and who doesnt like money? oh and to clarify i mean spelling mistakes in the programming, not on the forums lol that would be crazy

btw how do i "run naked through the forums?" roflmao must be a button ive been missing

i do the same thing as lady i type way too fast and mix up words and end up editing my posts every time right after lol

Adrian
03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
RUE..........you're nuts. You would NEVER BE BANNED unless you ran naked thru the forum.

Can I watch? LOL It may prove to be entertaining

Adrian
03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
LOL, eye gut a gud egukashun so eye can tell wen eye spel wurds rong. :)

wow, I was actually looking for a german translation before I got that one.

Levi
03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
:confused:

Rue
03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Can I watch? LOL It may prove to be entertaining

Given that in real life I'm on the compassionate side...I will save everyone's eyesight and NOT do any nakedness!
:laugh1blue:

Drumachine09
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
You would NEVER BE BANNED unless you ran naked thru the forum.

Dangit hobbs, why do you have to ruin all my plans?

Most of us that have been around a while have seen all of the spelling mistakes. There isn't anything we can do about it.

Blue Ram
03-21-2008, 06:13 PM

That would be hard to do! :laugh1blue:

Ryuu
03-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree, pointing out spelling isnt really the best way to change how people type. I spell a lot wrong since I dont speak total english correctly, germans my native tounge.

Tooch
03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Wait... Can you use AC money to buy things like lapdances? Who's gettin naked!? Rule of thumb: Stay away from the fis...nevermind

smaug
03-21-2008, 07:46 PM
mispeld werds?hoo givs a fat wrats but!

A340
03-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I think Turkey is referring to the spelling mistakes within the forum setup/design itself, NOT the (and there sooo many :ezpi_wink1: ) spelling mistakes from members in their posts.

For example, in our profiles, under "marital status" the word single was spelled singel for awhile (its been corrected though).

In regards to spelling mistakes from members in their posts, if you look over to the right when typing your posts, you'll see some smileys, just above that you'll see "ABC" with a check mark, this is whats called a "spell checker". Can everyone say that? "SPELL CHECKER"! It is used to correct the spelling mistakes you may type while posting a reply.

Give it a try one day, no really, give it a try .... :hmm3grin2orange:

King Snooty has spoken .. :14:

smaug
03-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I think Turkey is referring to the spelling mistakes within the forum setup/design itself, NOT the (and there sooo many :ezpi_wink1: ) spelling mistakes from members in their posts.

For example, in our profiles, under "marital status" the word single was spelled singel for awhile (its been corrected though).

In regards to spelling mistakes from members in their posts, if you look over to the right when typing your posts, you'll see some smileys, just above that you'll see "ABC" with a check mark, this is whats called a "spell checker". Can everyone say that? "Spell checker"! It is used to correct the spelling mistakes you may type while posting a reply.

Give it a try one day, no really, give it a try .... :hmm3grin2orange:

King Snooty has spoken .. :14:
byte me,reely,seersly!:c2: Snottie subjekt haz spokin.

A340
03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Exactly my point, had you used the spell checker, your post would have read:

"All hail King Snooty! He is the wisest of the wise and His wish is our command!"

smaug
03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I wish to apoligize to turkey for hijacking his serious post with my bad attitude:11:

A340
03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I wish to apoligize to turkey for hijacking his serious post with my bad attitude:11:
Apologies will get you no where! It's off to the Iron Maiden for you .... wait .... never mind, we've been through this before ... :help:

Very well, carry on with topic at hand.

smaug
03-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I apoligized to turkey!Not you ,you despot!

Rue
03-21-2008, 08:26 PM
*ACK* Such blatant name calling will result in serious action taking place!

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!

:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
03-21-2008, 08:29 PM
bleh:stongue:

Rue
03-21-2008, 08:32 PM
THAT'S IT!!! *rolls up sleeves*

NO MORE TANKS FOR YOU YOUNG MAN!

...and get your room cleaned up too! Put those socks in the hamper!

smaug
03-21-2008, 08:35 PM
:27:whatever!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
byte me...
I think my computer told me that one time....

Wild Turkey
03-21-2008, 08:40 PM

Hey look someone read the entire post before posting! *dies of shock* lol
Anyone whos read my posts know my grammar is average at best, oh wellz im from the chesapeake bay area. Just trying to give Will a hand THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION TO FIX GRAMMAR IN FORUMS

maybe that will clarify lol

Rue
03-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Tsk...all this attitude from the young men on the forums...

What is the world coming to?

I hereby order a week's grounding for all of you! NO fish tanks!

A340
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I apoligized to turkey!Not you ,you despot!
DESPOT?!?! DESPOT?!?!? :smad:

Hey look someone read the entire post before posting! *dies of shock* lol
Anyone whos read my posts know my grammar is average at best, oh wellz im from the chesapeake bay area. Just trying to give Will a hand THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION TO FIX GRAMMAR IN FORUMS

maybe that will clarify lol
So, do I like, win a prize or something? :19:

Tsk...all this attitude from the young men on the forums...

What is the world coming to?

I hereby order a week's grounding for all of you! NO fish tanks!
Give me a break! I just had 3 weeks holiday, went back to work for 4 days, now have 6 days off, go back tomorrow for 1 day, have 2 days off, go back for another 2 days then have another 3 days off. I'm BORED!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
...and YOU get an extra week of grounding for talking back!

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2008, 09:27 PM
William has made several spelling errors but I think, for me, it's just not an issue. He divides his time and residences between Nicaragua, Russia, Sweden and is far from being a dummy. Spelling, perhaps, may be just his weak point but I think for men, it often is. The spelling of words from his country may easily be confused with words from this country. Knowing several languages doesn't help with that part of it and it's common knowledge that English is one of the hardest languages.

A340
03-21-2008, 09:36 PM
...and YOU get an extra week of grounding for talking back!
Oh Fudge!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/alizee340/ralphie_soap.jpg

William has made several spelling errors but I think, for me, it's just not an issue. He divides his time and residences between Nicaragua, Russia, Sweden and is far from being a dummy. Spelling, perhaps, may be just his weak point but I think for men, it often is. The spelling of words from his country may easily be confused with words from this country. Knowing several languages doesn't help with that part of it and it's common knowledge that English is one of the hardest languages.
That may be, but I think Turkey was suggesting that we have a way of notifying someone, either one of the mods or William himself, that if we do find one, we'll have a way to notify someone and perhaps have it corrected at some point in time.

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2008, 09:57 PM
So, is there something specific you want corrected other than the profile page? Perhaps he would make a change or two but certainly hasn't the time to go thru everything he's written and correct a word here or there.

Regarding individual posters:

It takes a while to get to know the people. You know when you're here a while that a poster is only a 13, might be from another country or might be an old lady with a brain that ain't working at 100%. I correct spelling words in the thread titles constantly it seems and I have to admit, it rather does draw attention to errors. It just doesn't bother me to any great degree.

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
lol, yeah, as long as the word isnt butchered its not a issue

the most ironic one is in the profile options, college is spelt collage

LOLOLOL

See what I mean? You find them everywhere.

Wild Turkey
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh jeez, i really hope this thread doesnt turn into a "lets correct eachothers spelling" shootout

And hell yes u get a prize! reputation for sticking up for me as soon as i get a little scratch to buy some :)

A340
03-21-2008, 10:05 PM
So, is there something specific you want corrected other than the profile page? Perhaps he would make a change or two but certainly hasn't the time to go thru everything he's written and correct a word here or there..
Which is, I believe, Turkey's whole point, is it not? If there is a way we can let William or a Mod know, hey, there's a spelling mistake somewhere, we can let whoever know, so they know where the spelling (or other) mistake is. That way, when William or whoever has time, the know where to go and fix it.

No one is saying that William should go through everything to correct mistakes, what we are suggesting is that we have a way to notify someone of a mistake so it can be corrected in an efficient matter.

Regarding individual posters:

It takes a while to get to know the people. You know when you're here a while that a poster is only a 13, might be from another country or might be an old lady with a brain that ain't working at 100%. I correct spelling words in the thread titles constantly it seems and I have to admit, it rather does draw attention to errors. It just doesn't bother me to any great degree.
Agree, it doesn't bother me to a great deal either, and I know my grammar sucks as does my spelling. But I also use the spell checker.

Wild Turkey
03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Which is, I believe, Turkey's whole point, is it not? If there is a way we can let William or a Mod know, hey, there's a spelling mistake somewhere, we can let whoever know, so they know where the spelling (or other) mistake is. That way, when William or whoever has time, the know where to go and fix it.

No one is saying that William should go through everything to correct mistakes, what we are suggesting is that we have a way to notify someone of a mistake so it can be corrected in an efficient matter.

Agree, it doesn't bother me to a great deal either, and I know my grammar sucks as does my spelling. But I also use the spell checker.

I dont think i could have put that any better

mitcore
03-21-2008, 10:40 PM
here is my 2 bob's worth

i am forever miss spelling or leave out words, now i also have 3 kids under my nose when i am on here and try very hard to accpomplish both, the boyz quite regularly hit the buttoms and i dont realise,

now that i have said that this is my comment to it
and this not meant to offend or upset but it is how i feel

if you intend on correcting my mistakes then i cann say

" You and i will be at war and wont get on, i am an aussie and a female to boot i dont like having my mistakes put under my nose"

the time i do get on here is very precise cause i make the time and do all the house work and make sure my kids are happy to be able to spend time in here,
as far as how professionally the site looks who cares really
even with mistakes we are still able to get our piont accross and if you havent noticed our visitor records are contuinally being smahed,
so it doesnt seem to be affecting them our the look of the site

this is my opinion only i am not speaking for anyone else except my self,

A340
03-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Mitcore, it's not your mistakes, nor those of any other member while posting replies that is the issue at hand.

The whole point of the original thread starter was to correct spelling mistakes on the website itself NOT those mistakes by members such as you and I when posting replies.

Wild Turkey
03-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Mitcore, it's not your mistakes, or those of any other member while posting replies that is the issue at hand.

The whole point of the original thread starter was to correct spelling mistakes on the website itself NOT those mistakes by members such as you and I when posting replies.

haha seriously, how many times do we need to say that? Jeez

Rue
03-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Heh...and now I get to say 'told you so'...

Don't mention spelling...for ANY reason...:hmm3grin2orange:

Pr0eve
03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
William has nothing to do with spelling errors.

And, I already know I misspell and really don't need it pointed out to me. LOL I'm here to learn about fish, not how to spell.

Oops. I think I mispelled "misspell". LOL We have people here for all over the world. And tolerance is a good thing?

he is talking about spelling errors on the forum, not in other peoples post..

crackatinny
03-21-2008, 11:27 PM

Jeez, that puts a stop to my next prank:11:

crackatinny
03-21-2008, 11:30 PM
I figure i'll start a thread to point out spelling errors so they can be corrected more easily. I'll start

Buy gift option says "This will allow you to a gift for another member."

William is not from an english speaking background, that is why his dialogue is not always 100%, considering that, I think he does very well:thumb:

A340
03-21-2008, 11:35 PM
William is not from an english speaking background, that is why his dialogue is not always 100%, considering that, I think he does very well:thumb:
So do I. It's not a question of his ability, it's a question if we find a mistake, how do we go about getting it corrected?

To prevent further confusion....

1. If we find a mistake on the website itself (NOT in a members post) and we would like to see it corrected for whatever reason. Is it possible to have it corrected?

2. If yes. What is the procedure?

3. If no. Will there be a procedure?

jbeining75
03-22-2008, 01:06 AM
grrrr... is this a spelling bee or a fish forum????

Wild Turkey
03-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Honestly i havent seen 1 "on topic" post so far and probably less than 5 posts that even imply people read the entirety of the first post, this thread got hijacked SO FAST

Drumachine09
03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
If we are worrying about the misspellings of a few words, maybe we need to reevaluate why we are here. The spelling mistakes are in the software.

Fixing them would take time. That time would take away from the time William has to upgrade this site with new and exciting features.

If it REALLY bothers you that much, I can loan you a bottle of white out and a pen. You can fill in the rest.

Wild Turkey
03-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Ok im gonna quote myself a whole bunch of times in one reply to maybe stop people who havent read all the posts from posting something that there is already an answer to, 98% of this post is mis-understanding.

"I figure i'll start a thread to point out spelling errors so they can be corrected more easily. I'll start

Buy gift option says "This will allow you to a gift for another member.""

Ok, thats a mistake in the system, not the forum. Thats what the first post was about.

"It just looks more professional when ur not like "We are greatest fish site usa" u know what i mean, not that i give a crap, but better looking = more adds = more $$ and who doesnt like money? oh and to clarify i mean spelling mistakes in the programming, not on the forums lol that would be crazy

i do the same thing as lady i type way too fast and mix up words and end up editing my posts every time right after lol"

Ok, as i said i dont care about spelling or grammar, i was only trying to help the freakin programmer. Half of you are sticking up for him as if im attacking his mistakes or something. I have no clue how good his english and personally i think it is irrelevant when ur dealing with computers, all this post was intended to do is make a little easier for the programmer to succeed more!
You should take a look at where u stand on this issue because right now, Either through failure to read the whole post or misunderstanding it im sure, you are opposing friendly feedback and members supporting the mods...hmmm...

Billythefish
03-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Man! The text on this site is fine by me why the big rant it dont make no sence you harp on about free speech then you do this thread hmmm

Wild Turkey
03-22-2008, 02:00 AM
again billy you didnt read this post. this has nothing to do with free speech. If you had only read the post right above yours...i swear people must be getting intimidated by the number of pages...I was trying to do the creator a favor. And besides that what does grammar have to do with free speech anyway?...

Maybe i should paste that post into the original post?

Billythefish
03-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Hay i was talking about your signiture and this place is a form of free speech so if we spell things wrong it dont matter i do it all the time and no one says a thing becouse there not rude and can understand that its a big job to put these mistakes right so put your dictionary away and enjoy the a.c

Drumachine09
03-22-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm only going to say this once. If you can't be nice, stay on topic, and have an intelligent dialog on the subject at hand, I'm going to lock the thread, regardless of how much I hate locked threads.

Billythefish
03-22-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm only going to say this once. If you can't be nice, stay on topic, and have an intelligent dialog on the subject at hand, I'm going to lock the thread, regardless of how much I hate locked threads.
We was nice and was on topic so i dont see the problem it was just two sides of a coin!

Wild Turkey
03-22-2008, 05:04 AM
We was nice and was on topic so i dont see the problem it was just two sides of a coin!

I agree, just because someone doesnt agree with you, doesnt mean they are wrong. Thats what free speech is all about. Havent you ever heard the phrase "I may not agree with what you say, but i will defend to the death, your right to say it."? Its one of my favs.

Drumachine09
03-22-2008, 05:46 AM

Billythefish
03-22-2008, 05:55 AM
??? Am i missing the point ???

cocoa_pleco
03-22-2008, 05:57 AM
i think the point of this thread has been reached, i vote to lock it

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Some of the topics that are born here never fail to amaze me. I have been on forums probably longer than the age of many of the members here and never ounce has it occured to me to request from an Administrator to correct his spelling. It could be conscrewed easily from being "helpful" to being a "nit-picker" and I prefer to walk on the safe side and say nothing just as I will say nothing to the Administrator here.

I guess if he just sat here 14 hours a day (like I do) he would have lots more time to attend to things like this but since he is plenty busy with what he already is doing, I will not lay this on him and add to his burden.

The Mods can make not these changes or I would be happy to accomodate you.

William
03-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Ok. this thread is so long that I haven't had the energy to read the entire thread.

Anyone spotting typos in the software forum itself are more than welcome to report it to me (preferable via PM) and I´ll fix it as soon as I can. Include the typod text and a replacement suggestion. This will allow me to quickly change the erros.

I don't care about spelling misstakes by members in the post and I haven't seen anyone else do so in this post either which is lucky for me as I otherwise might have to strat proofreading my posts before posting them.

A340
03-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Are we still going on about this? Yikes!

It was a simple question that needed a simple answer. Not much more too it. Nobody has been accusing anyone (including William) of having bad spelling or grammar. I'm sure we've all noticed some spelling mistakes (NOT in members posts) on the site and some of us, for what ever reason, would like to know if it is possible, again, for what ever reason, to have them corrected. Thats it, nothing more to it.

Hobbs, I'm not a computer person, so I don't know what it all takes to change things. But I do know that a website takes up a lot of time and work. All of the AC crew is doing a great job and should be commended for the work you and the rest of the team are doing. But it shouldn't have to take 8 pages of posts to come up with a simple answer for a simple question.

Agreed, there may have been some misunderstanding at the beginning, but, I believe I did a pretty good job at explaining the query in my Reply 19. Agreed, some of us have been having a little fun (guilty as charged) with this thread. But, still, it shouldn't have to take so long to come up with a simple reply "yes, we'll look into it" or "no, we'll just leave it as is".

Also, I think some of us are taking things a bit too personal in this thread. It's not about any members, crew or William himself having poor spelling habits. Personally, if I want to get lectured on spelling and grammar, all I have to do is go over to my aviation forum where you've got members just waiting for you to mess up with using "to" instead of "too". We're all friends here which is what makes this such a great site. Honestly, it's because of all the members here (even though we have our little spats) that I honestly enjoy coming back here and spending so much time on it. There's not a single member here that I dislike or don't respect. When I've had a bad day at work, this is the first place I come because I know I'll be welcomed and have a good time.

So, having said all that, can we all agree that it would be too much work to fix any spelling errors? Can we all agree that when the time comes, they will be fixed if needed? And can we all just give each other a nice, big, cyber hug and make up?

I'll be the first ...

:l10:

... much better, now let's go talk about fishy's .... thumbs2:

William
03-22-2008, 09:39 AM
The short simple answer. Report software spelling errors to me via Thread listed below and I'll fix them when I can. The report neeed to include the exact phrase that it is an error in.

If I recieve such a report I will be more than happy to fix it.

William
03-22-2008, 09:49 AM
I think the original idea with this thread was a good one and I have therefore created a forum thread for reporting typos.

Report errors in:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=227862

But keep the discussion in this thread.

crackatinny
03-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Are we still going on about this? Yikes!

It was a simple question that needed a simple answer. Not much more too it. Nobody has been accusing anyone (including William) of having bad spelling or grammar. I'm sure we've all noticed some spelling mistakes (NOT in members posts) on the site and some of us, for what ever reason, would like to know if it is possible, again, for what ever reason, to have them corrected. Thats it, nothing more to it.

Patrick, I would like to point out here, that it was explained in my earlier post why there are gramma errors on the forum.

Yes some members did missread the initial post, and it did turn to a bit of a thread on members spelling mistakes, and I would probably be No.1 offender in post spelling mistakes, LOL.

With the improvements William is making to the forum, and other issues we are working on, this issue was just not of high priority at the moment.
However William has attended to it, and I hope it can be resolved now.

A340
03-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Patrick, I would like to point out here, that it was explained in my earlier post why there are gramma errors on the forum.

Yes some members did missread the initial post, and it did turn to a bit of a thread on members spelling mistakes, and I would probably be No.1 offender in post spelling mistakes, LOL.

With the improvements William is making to the forum, and other issues we are working on, this issue was just not of high priority at the moment.
However William has attended to it, and I hope it can be resolved now.
Hey Crack!

I understood completely your post on why there are grammar errors in the forum, and like I said, some (OK, maybe just 2 of us .... lol) wanted to know if we did find a mistake somewhere, if it would be correctable. Just trying to help out.

That it's not a high priority is of course, also understandable.

Thanks for the reply William!

aquarius56
03-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Smaug...You are absolutely hilarious!

Wild Turkey
03-23-2008, 01:11 AM
I think the original idea with this thread was a good one and I have therefore created a forum thread for reporting typos.

Report errors in:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=227862

But keep the discussion in this thread.

Many thanks for the compliment, if this topic hasnt already been locked i second cocoa's vote to lock it.

mitcore
03-23-2008, 10:17 AM
i agree with cocoa and turkey on this on lock this thread please

William
03-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Will lock it now.