PDA

View Full Version : Boy am I Lucky

gwenkat
10-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I went to a yard sale this morning that a friend of mine was having. Her neighbor was participating. I bought a stand for my 10 gallon from her and we started talking. Turns out she used to have a 30 gallon tall and a 55 salt. She got out of fish when she became a mom. The tanks are sitting at her mom's in the garage. She told me that if I wanted them, I could have them. They both have stands and possibly supplies. She was going to go check it out and make sure her mom still had it all and call me. I cannot believe I lucked into 2 tanks and stands for free!!!

Aside from cleaning them with hot water, what else will I need to do before I set them up?

I was thinking about putting the 55 downstairs in our unfinished basement. We haven't had heat put in yet, and in the winter we use a space heater when we are watching tv or playing computer games. If I have a heater in the tank would it be ok, or would it get too cold? I live in South Carolina so winters get in the 30's.

Any other advice on cleaning or setting up the tanks. I will naturally have to see what supplies come with them and go buy everything else. I am so excited!

NorthernBoy
10-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Way cool! Congrats!

Lady Hobbs
10-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Wow. Free tanks. How Kool is that?

I don't know how well the thermometers will heat a tank in that cold a room, tho. If it's possible at all, see if you can get it to fit upstairs somewhere. You only need about 50 inches of space.

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 12:15 AM
I originally thought of that, but my husband is concerned about the weight. There would be 900 books, a 29 gallon tank, a 55 gallon, a 30 gallon, and a 10 gallon. He thought that might be too much upstairs. I'm not sure. Maybe it is a good reason to finally install heat in the basement. :)

turbomkt
10-22-2006, 03:24 AM
OK...a couple of things. First, if there are any stubborn stains, use vinegar and elbow grease to clean the 'new' tanks.

Second...head over to home depot and get one of the 4x8 sheets of styrofoam insulation. I'd go for either 1/2" or 3/4". Cut to fit the back and sides of the tank. If you really want to, you can even make a base of the styrofoam, making sure it's as big as the rim around the bottom of the tank.

This should give enough insulation that a standard size heater in each tank will be enough. Otherwise, it may be easier to keep the room in the 60's.

kimmers318
10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
You might also want to consider using 2 heaters....one at each end....that way if one does go you won't be facing a major heat loss in a short time frame from it being colder outside the tank.

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Good points from Kimmers and Mike. Get the good heaters, too, the ones that are 200 watt or more. The nice large ones you see. A bit pricey but necessary.

One more point that should be made here. Make sure your tank is set up for several days with water only in it to make sure you have no leaks. Tanks that have been stored for a long period of time can develop leaky seals for shrinking and expanding without water being in them. Your tanks were stored indoors so should be no problem. Enjoy!

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will let you all know when I get them and what shape they are in. It is so nice to have you all to talk to. Otherwise I would be at the mercy of the people at Petsmart. (shudder). Thank you all!!

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 02:48 PM
My son called me one day with this great announcement that he had a free 55 gallon tank for me. All he needed to do was replace the glass on one side. He had the glass cut, installed it, it fell out again and smashed. By then he was po ed and didn't want to mess with it anymore. I later found out that tank had been stored behind someones garage, had gone thru the sun beating on it for a couple seasons and also filled with snow.

It was good that I didn't keep it and try to add water to it. I may have woke to a real mess one night.

I don't know why but you just never see used aquariums in the paper here. People must sell them to friends and never have to post an ad. You'd think they'd be one now and then.

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 02:52 PM
That is terrible. Good thing you didn't have it. Occassionally I find tanks in the paper, but it is usually a huge set up and they want hundreds of dollars for all of it. Sometimes even fish. Generally it is saltwater set ups that I see for sale.

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 03:41 PM
My son was working at a doctors office that has an 1800 gallon tank for sale. I'd have to have all the furniture removed from my apartment for that baby.

NorthernBoy
10-22-2006, 03:52 PM
for local listings on aquariums, depending on where you are, this is a great site. http://aquatics.net/

turbomkt
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Another good one for aquarium listings is Craigs List (http://www.craigslist.org).