PDA

View Full Version : hello im new and think my fish are pregnant

diddy
10-21-2006, 04:57 PM
hi im carol and about 4 weeks ago i brought a tank for my 11 year old son. we chose some fish at the pet shop after setting up the tank and keeping it running for 4 days first. well now to my problem two of my fish have got fat bellies but the other four are fine are they pregnant and what should i do now. i went to the pet shop and my son brought a small plastic tank to go inside the aquarium and we have put the two fat fish in there is that the right thing to do the pet shop thought so but im concerned all the same. i will be greatful for any advice thanks.

betta mom
10-21-2006, 06:52 PM
welcome.... what kind of fish are they ? this would really help to know . some people love the breeder nets and some don't . me , i don't care for them . i have several plant's and alot of caves and such so the fry have lots of hiding places . :4:

gwenkat
10-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the board.

Severus
10-23-2006, 02:06 AM
Yea, type of fish would help. If they are platys or something that breeds alot/easily, chances are they are pregnant. My gf has a 10 gallon grow out tank that she moves all her platy/tetra fry to

kimmers318
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Yes, types of fish would help, but if it is platy's which are very common first purchases, and usually are pregnant when you get them you can quickly get overrun with fry. We also use a 10 gal as a grow out tank, but occassionally get worn out trying to rescue fry and leave them to their own devices. Of the last batch we had 1 that is still surviving in my tank.

Severus
10-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Yea we have platy fry that disappears in the rocks to protect itself and it has been growing quite well. Almost big enough now to be out in the tank alone... all his brothers and sisters were eaten because we couldnt take any more fry into the 10 gal.