PDA

View Full Version : Cotton looking stuff...

MrKickalot
10-21-2006, 01:51 PM
This junk is growing in my tank... here's a picture. If someone could tell me what's going on or if this is just some kind of algae I would appreciate it...

http://allmanphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1990694/1/104156508/Large

Thanks,

Jason

Lady Hobbs
10-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Wow. It is an algae but what is causing it, I don't know. Are your lights on too long each day (more than 10 hours) or is the tank getting direct sunlight? I've not had a problem with algae so not really too knowledgeable about it. Sorry. I wipe the sides of my tank down with a sponge each water change and that keeps my tank clear.

Perhaps you need to get a couple algae eaters.

PS......if I'm not mistaken, didn't you recently set this tank up? If so, your nitrates may be high right now which also causes an algae bloom. I'd just wipe the glass down for now and let the filter remove it.

MrKickalot
10-22-2006, 09:10 PM
The lady at the pet store (pet smart) said she things it's a fungus... I really hope whatever it is I can treat it without removing the log... I got all my rocks and plants where I wanted them and then it shows up... I really don't want to take it out of the tank.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!!

Thanks,

Jason

CJ1
10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
If you have got something such as a fungus, it can be treated very easily. Major water changes and proper weekly maintenance usually takes care of it.

MrKickalot
10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
If you have got something such as a fungus, it can be treated very easily. Major water changes and proper weekly maintenance usually takes care of it.

Problem is... this is fairly new. I soaked the log for a little over a week and never noticed anything... then when I realized the log was not going to stay sunk on it's own I took it out, attached a large piece of acrylic to the bottom and replaced it covering the acrylic with rocks and gravel. This was a 100% water removal and when I put the log back in I put all new water in and treated it. That was less than a week ago. I just noticed the fuzzy stuff (which grows really fast) 2 days after I put the water back in... I have been trying to knock it off the log and let the filters capture it but I can't seem to get it to go away....... Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks again!!

Jason

I just thought of something... When I was soaking the log I didn't treat the water so it would have chlorine in it.. That might have been what kept the fungus from growing.... just another thought...