PDA

View Full Version : Cycling my 75 gallon Tank-Need Advice

Cichlid_Man
10-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi,
My name is Joe and I need some advice on getting my tank cycled.
I am not new to fish, but I AM new to Cichlids and getting a tank cyclrd correctly.
I have read a lot about fishless cycling by actually adding ammonia to your tank. I was not able to find pure unscented ammonia so I went ahead and bought my 8 Cichlids.

It is about one week since I added fish, and this morning I have seen my very first "trace" of ammonia. It is extremely slight. Hardly a reading at all.

I need to know what my next move is so I don't get too high of an ammonia reading, and also to avoid a serious nitrate spike??

Water change?
How much?

Please help :-)

Fishguy2727
10-21-2006, 01:16 PM
at this point you dont have to worry about a nitrate spike, actually you should never have to as it builds up very slowly and usually wont even start until the cycle is complete. however i would test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate now and until the cycle is over (when the nitrites are down to 0 after they have risen/spiked) when you can cut it down to just nitrate. are these african cichlids? if not, what kind? because in general 8 is too much for a 75 (so i just want to check what exactly we're talking about here). do nothing except keep checking your water and watch the fish for signs of stress. let it cycle. at that little ammonia if you try to dilute it with water changes and correct things you will more likely throw things off and make the cycle take even longer.

Lady Hobbs
10-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I just cycled a 55 gallon tank and it was the oddest cycle I had done thus far. My ammonia levels never climbed more than .25 and I had 35 inches of fish in the tank. The nitrites climbed without having the high ammonia levels as well as the nitrates. I did start the cycle with lots of used media such as gravel in mesh bags, driftwood, decorations and filters so I can only contribute it to all that added stuff.

You have a lot of water there so possibly your ammonia levels will not reach very high levels as they would in a small tank. Just keep track of the nitrites and you will do fine. As previously mentioned, when nitrites are 0 and nitrates are appearing, your tank will be cycled.

NorthernBoy
10-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Ok. Both electric blue's and Yellow Labs are very sensitive to water quality. I think that I would have waited to add them until after tank is cycled, but, as you already have them introduced I would add a pouch of BioSpira. For a 75 gallon tank it will run about $20. Although, iff you add it today your tank will be fully cycled by tomorrow!!! Possably saving your more sensitive fish. Haps (elec blue) and Labs need really good water quality! IMO add the biospira immediately and do not do a water change. Are you adding a buffer to your tank aswell besides the crushed coral? If not buy some malawi buffer by sea chem and use that if your pH is low. You need a pH ideally around 8-8.7 for those fish. (some say that between 7.5-9 is okay)

Cichlid_Man
10-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks folks....

Yes, they are African Cichlids.
I know I should have waited, but I am hoping things will turn out fine.
So, I will go and pick up that birospira tomorrow and I should be OK.

My PH is hanging at just under 8.0. The crushed coral and Tuffa rocks should help keep that up, or I can always add 1 tsp of baking soda after water changes.

So, it seems you are saying no water change to dilute any ammonia?

I guess that's what I'll do and get that biro stuff.
Thanks! I hope to become a very active member here. You all seem very knowledgeable

CJ1
10-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Just do normal weekly water changes. By doing more then normal, what happens is that you prolong the cycling process. Logic would say try to keep toxin levels low, but these toxins are needed to get needed bacteria growing. The amout of good bacteria in tank is dependant on total amout of fish waste. That why it's important to start out slow, generally with throw away fish. Then when tank is cycled, gradually add more to give good bacteria change to catch up to waste load.

Cichlid_Man
10-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Just do normal weekly water changes. By doing more then normal, what happens is that you prolong the cycling process. Logic would say try to keep toxin levels low, but these toxins are needed to get needed bacteria growing. The amout of good bacteria in tank is dependant on total amout of fish waste. That why it's important to start out slow, generally with throw away fish. Then when tank is cycled, gradually add more to give good bacteria change to catch up to waste load.

Well, considering what I have read here, I am on the right track. I guess I should have started with goldfish or something, but maybe things will be OK.
My fish are not stressed in any way since the ammonia is under the .25 mark.

At this point my question would be why are 8 Cichlids too much for the 75g?

I must have been misled by the pet store because each of the fish I bought were listed at a maximun growth size of 4.5 - 5 inches?
I know we cannot stick to the "rule" of 1 inch of fish per gallon, but 8 Cichlids times 5 inches is 40....
That's too much? Or have I been misled?

Thanks again for your support!

kimmers318
10-22-2006, 02:06 AM
You should be fine with 8 cichlids in that large of a tank. Keep an eye on your water paramaters and that should tell you if you need a water change or not.

NorthernBoy
10-22-2006, 06:23 AM
it really depends on the type pf cichlid.

Cichlid_Man
10-22-2006, 12:29 PM
it really depends on the type pf cichlid.

They are all African from Malawi I am told.
They are mentioned in my signature below.

My signature first stated that I had 2 snowflake Cichlids, but I looked at the receipt from the store and it is actually called snow white socolofi.

I'll keep an eye on the water parameters.

Thanks to all who have posted here!
I'll be back to let you know when the tank has cycled.
The water is still holding a very slight sign of ammonia, 0 nitrie, 0 nitrate, PH of 8, and I haven't tested GH or KH yet.
I guess I should???

NorthernBoy
10-22-2006, 03:46 PM
well some mbunas need an overstocked tank with huge filteration to reduce the aggressiveness. haps and labs can get to 5.5 inches....males could grow to 6 maybe. I have a friend who breeds elec blues. he keeps about 25 in a 75 gal. with only 3 males. The mating aggression is spread around then.

CJ1
10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
I am one who does not believe in the overstocking method. Low stocking levels works better. Give each fish its space, but you do have to provid lots of site breaks. In a 75 gallon tank between 8-10 cichlids would probably work out. I do see problems with Joe's choice of cichlids though. The agression levels are not matched at all. Also, cichlids of same type, or even similar in looks will fight.

Cichlid_Man
10-22-2006, 08:47 PM
I am one who does not believe in the overstocking method. Low stocking levels works better. Give each fish its space, but you do have to provid lots of site breaks. In a 75 gallon tank between 8-10 cichlids would probably work out. I do see problems with Joe's choice of cichlids though. The agression levels are not matched at all. Also, cichlids of same type, or even similar in looks will fight.

I think you are right...
As I said, I am not experienced with Cichlids. I am learning as I go, and that's not a good thing.

I don't even know my male to female ratio at this point. They are too small for me to tell. Some have egg spots and others do not.

If things start getting crazy in there I have a 30 gallon setup where I could move some of the fish out. You know? Some of the more aggressive ones.

I'll keep a close eye on things.
I actually wanted a tank of all yellow labs. I think they are beautiful, but you are saying they would fight?

CJ1
10-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Keeping African cichlids is very satisfying, but also very frustrating. You really just have to figure out what works for you. When a fish goes balistic, you have to make a desicion on what to do. For me it comes down to sacrificing one fish to save the rest of the tank. Keeping all of one kind can work, but it's still all a balancing act. Just remember, enjoy yourself, and there is no one right way for any of this.

Cichlid_Man
10-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Keeping African cichlids is very satisfying, but also very frustrating. You really just have to figure out what works for you. When a fish goes balistic, you have to make a desicion on what to do. For me it comes down to sacrificing one fish to save the rest of the tank. Keeping all of one kind can work, but it's still all a balancing act. Just remember, enjoy yourself, and there is no one right way for any of this.

I am enjoying this hobby very much. I am learning a lot too.
I also have a 30 gallon with 4 Cichlids in it.
They are nuts!
1 Bumblebee, 1 P. Kennyi, and 2 that I really don't know what they are. They are powder blue with yellow tails. The Bumblebee has grown huge while the others remain about 2 1/2 inches. The Bumblebee rules. They chase a lot but nobody gets hurt.
Since I put them on a timed lighting system they have calmed down a bit.
I think things will work out.
I got tired of having a community tank so I went to Cichlids.
I was going to get Oscars or Dempseys, but I live 60 miles from stores, and keeping live food would be tough.
I really love the fish I have.
I'll get some pictures on here soon.
My avatar is my bumblebee but that picture doesn't do him any justice.
Have a good night

kimmers318
10-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Good luck with your tank....we have more than 8 mbuna in our 75 and things are fine. Do you have rock structures or some other sort of hiding places? Hubby has built rock hidey holes all over the tank. Here is a pic of his tank.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/75gallonmbuna.jpg
We do see some aggression....but nothing that is damaging. And our demasoni have bred twice for us without us doing anything.

Cichlid_Man
10-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Good luck with your tank....we have more than 8 mbuna in our 75 and things are fine. Do you have rock structures or some other sort of hiding places? Hubby has built rock hidey holes all over the tank. Here is a pic of his tank.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/75gallonmbuna.jpg
We do see some aggression....but nothing that is damaging. And our demasoni have bred twice for us without us doing anything.

Hi there Kimmers.
I have lots of rocks with holes and I have ornaments with spots to hide in.
Love your setup!

I think I should do fine if my tank cycles safely.

Here's my report...Somebody please tell me how it looks and what I should expect from this point.

First, I added Stress Zyme for what it is worth because birospira is not available here.
I put some ornaments, plants and some gravel from my other tank into this one.

This morning I got these readings.

GH+100ppm (these readings are ok for cichlids according to the chart)
KH=100ppm (these readings are ok for cichlids according to the chart)
PH=8.2
Ammonia= less than .25...nearly zero
Nitrite=.25
Nitrate=0

Should I do anything at this point???
Howz it look?
I attached a picture. Don't know how good it is but it'll give you an idea how it is set up.
I still need a background!

Lady Hobbs
10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
I noticed you used stress zyme. I did, also, because bio spira is also not available in my area. I had algae on "everything" and had to take the wood out and scrub it with a brush twice. Artifical plants were nearly white with it.

I may have used more than was recommended on the bottle, however. It does say to add every 7 days but I had a high ammonia spike so was doing daily water changes there for awhile and kept adding a tad more of the stress zyme. Apparently more than what I should have!

Just stick with what is recommended and you should do fine.

Cichlid_Man
10-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I may have used more than was recommended on the bottle, however. It does say to add every 7 days but I had a high ammonia spike so was doing daily water changes there for awhile and kept adding a tad more of the stress zyme. Apparently more than what I should have!

Just stick with what is recommended and you should do fine.

I just used enough stress zyme as listed on the bottle.
Cichlids like a bit of algae anyway, but not what you described :-)
So, for now, with just a slight ammonia and nitrite reading I should just leave as is?

I have had mixed opinions from here. Some say no water change, others say change 10%. I know there is a zero tolerance for ammonia, but I am still confused as to what to do about changing water or not based on my water parameters in my previous post.

Lady Hobbs
10-23-2006, 04:53 PM
If your ammonia levels are low, leave as is. I know what you mean about the mixed opinions on water changes. Went thru the same thing but my concern was in saving my fish and opted for a longer cycling period. I think if your levels remain below .50, you are fine. In my case, I had high levels of nearly 2.0 so actually did 50% water changes once a week and 20% the other days. Even with the water changes, my ammonia levels were just below 1.0 But.......I did save every fish and that was my main concern.

I might add that I also started with too many fish!! This was when I was really a "green-horn." You have just what you need for a perfect cycle.......lots of water and a few fish and I find no reason you will have any problem at all. Rest easy, daddy, and don't worry. You are doing everything right. Just do NO cleaning, don't touch the filter media at all and let it roll.

Cichlid_Man
10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Rest easy, daddy, and don't worry. You are doing everything right. Just do NO cleaning, don't touch the filter media at all and let it roll.

I like the sound of that!

I'll be posting back as things move on.
I'll get some pictures on board also when I get my background and finish things up.
This forum is the BEST!

kimmers318
10-24-2006, 07:57 AM
So far it looks like you are on your way to a beautiful tank. You will need to increase your hiding spots though as you add fish in the future so that there is plenty of room to zip in/out and around which gives everyone a chance to stay out of each others way. In my opinion, you are not going to get away from or avoid squabbles when it comes to mbuna....they are just bickerers...I liken them to a tank full of toddlers! :) Some, as mentioned, go with the overstocking methods to spread the aggression around, others don't agree....go with what works for you. As your tank grows, you will decide if you want more (and the problems that can arise) or if you are happy with what you have and don't want to risk one of your favorites getting picked on all of the time.
Also...have to agree with Hobbs....stay away from trying to do anything at this point, you will only slow the cyle down. Since you are seeing nitrites, it shows that your bacteria is starting to eat up the ammonia so you are well on your way. If you get to a point where you feel ammonia levels are getting too high and want to do a water change don't disturb the gravel or filter media other than to rinse media in the tank water that you remove so you don't mess up the bacteria. Wait until all is stable.

Cichlid_Man
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
It seems what you say is what most are saying.
The tank is cycling and I should leave it alone, especially with the extremely low ammonia/nitrite levels.

As far as adding fish? I still wanted more yellow labs. They are my favorite.
Very calm fish. I think 2 more of those and I am set.

You say to add more hiding spaces.
I was thinking of going down to the James River. I live about 1/8 mile from there.

There is a boat launch where you can walk down right into shallow water and get gorgeous flat rivier rock.

I can set them up in the corners of the tank to make hiding spaces :-)
I don't think river rock will hurt any water parameters?
Have a great day!

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2006, 12:02 PM
River rock should be fine. No limestone, however. Your tank will be awesome when you finish.

Wish I could post some pictures of mine. I have no digital camera! wahhhh

Cichlid_Man
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
River rock should be fine. No limestone, however. Your tank will be awesome when you finish.

Wish I could post some pictures of mine. I have no digital camera! wahhhh

Thanks Hobbs...I hope my tank is awesome!

I have some concerns after this mornings water test.

Up until this morning, ammonia was barely a trace, and nitrite was about .25.
I just took readings this morning and the ammonia is at between .25 & .50, the nitirites are at .50, and I even see traces of nitrates at about 5.0

What do you think?
Am I still safe or should I pull some water out?

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey, it's doing it's magic. Let it go. I wouldn't be concerned with ammonia unless it got over 1.0 and maybe nearly 1 1/2. Salt helps reduce the toxic effects of nitrite, too, so maybe some aquarium salt could be added but I think you are clear sailing all the way now.

Aerating the tank water also speeds cycling but I think you're doing fine. Man, I'm more excited about YOUR tank cycling than I was my own.

Cichlid_Man
10-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey, it's doing it's magic. Let it go. I wouldn't be concerned with ammonia unless it got over 1.0 and maybe nearly 1 1/2. Salt helps reduce the toxic effects of nitrite, too, so maybe some aquarium salt could be added but I think you are clear sailing all the way now.

Aerating the tank water also speeds cycling but I think you're doing fine. Man, I'm more excited about YOUR tank cycling than I was my own.

I have plenty of aeration, and I also have salt in there at the rate of a tablespoon per 5 gallons.
I'll just watch the ammonia levels, and I guess if they or the nitrates really spike, then maybe a water change would be the thing to do?
I don't want to make a pest of myself :-)

NorthernBoy
10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Most river rocks will be fine including any limestone you find. Limestone in a cichlid tank is just fine it will act the same as the crushed coral in your tank. Crushed coral will actually eventually become limestone! Although I have to disagree with the just wait it out theory. You have already added fish too quickly into a uncycled tank. You are actually slowly causing damage to all of your fish. High pH in a tank (which you should also have stablilized already) will increase the toxicity of ammonia. Ammonia becomes more toxic as pH increases. Fluctuations in pH can be stressful and damaging to fish health as well.
Remember you are dealing with sensitive Cichlids not some average hearty community fish. As I stated earlier I think you need top add a tank cycle additive at this point. You are risking the cost of replacing the fish over a small amount of money to just finish the cycle with an additive. Not to mention the lives of many fish who are dependant upon you to protect them. JM2C

Cichlid_Man
10-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Most river rocks will be fine including any limestone you find. Limestone in a cichlid tank is just fine it will act the same as the crushed coral in your tank. Crushed coral will actually eventually become limestone! Although I have to disagree with the just wait it out theory. You have already added fish too quickly into a uncycled tank. You are actually slowly causing damage to all of your fish. High pH in a tank (which you should also have stablilized already) will increase the toxicity of ammonia. Ammonia becomes more toxic as pH increases. Fluctuations in pH can be stressful and damaging to fish health as well.
Remember you are dealing with sensitive Cichlids not some average hearty community fish. As I stated earlier I think you need top add a tank cycle additive at this point. You are risking the cost of replacing the fish over a small amount of money to just finish the cycle with an additive. Not to mention the lives of many fish who are dependant upon you to protect them. JM2C

Thanks for the tip on River rock and limestone, but now I feel awful about possibly damaging my fish.
I cannot get Birospira. The best I could do was stress zyme so I put that in.
So, massive water changes? Small water changes? No water changes?
What do I do?

The reason I put the fish in after 48 hours was that I live 60 miles from any stores. That's 120 mile round trip.
I knew I should have cycled the tank first, but I gave it a shot, now I feel bad. Just tell me what YOU would do at this point with no birospira?

I just editited this post....UPDATE:
I just checked the water this morning and there is a change.
Nitrite jumped to 1.0
Ammonia is Gone!-Zero!
Nitrate is at 5
OK, with that, I think I am almost there? Nitrites can be harmful too, but better than ammonia,no?

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Happy Dance here. You are on your way, big daddy. These are just the readings you have been worrying about and you have done a perfect cycling. Ammonia didn't get too high to cause harm and you have your nitrates. Congratulations.

You had lower pH levels which help, added salt with helps with the nitrites, aerated the tank which helps and added additional bacteria factor. Now, what was it you were worried about? :) It looks mighty text book to me. When your nitrites are at 0, you can add more fish.

Sorry if I mis-spoke about the limestone and thru you a curve. I was under the impression that limestone was not good for aquariums.

You can test the rocks you get by pouring some vinegar on them. If they bubble, don't use them. I actually put mine in a pail of water and added some vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will react to the stone that should not be used.

Cichlid_Man
10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Happy Dance here. You are on your way, big daddy. These are just the readings you have been worrying about and you have done a perfect cycling. Ammonia didn't get too high to cause harm and you have your nitrates. Congratulations.

You had lower pH levels which help, added salt with helps with the nitrites, aerated the tank which helps and added additional bacteria factor. Now, what was it you were worried about? :) It looks mighty text book to me. When your nitrites are at 0, you can add more fish.

Sorry if I mis-spoke about the limestone and thru you a curve. I was under the impression that limestone was not good for aquariums.

You can test the rocks you get by pouring some vinegar on them. If they bubble, don't use them. I actually put mine in a pail of water and added some vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will react to the stone that should not be used.

Don't worry about the limestone...
Limestone is OK for cichlids. It tends to keep PH levels high for them...

About the cycling...
It is my inexperience with cycling that makes me worry.
There are a lot of mixed opinions on the Internet.
Some say nitrites are as lethal as ammonia, others say no.
I think with nitrites at 1.0, I am fine. They will go down soon...

Thanks for all your help, and please keep posting.
I'll let you know if anything changes.

Cichlid_Man
10-26-2006, 12:54 PM
OK,
This morning the readings were different.
Ammonia still zero :-)
Nitrates have gone from 5 to 10, which I think is fine
But, my Nitrites are at 2 now....
Am I still OK?
If the ammonia is gone and the nitrates are present, why then doesn't the nitrite go down?
Should I do anything at this point?

Lady Hobbs
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I think a water change is now in order. I'd do a 20-30% today and if nitrites are still that high tomorrow, another then.

Lady Hobbs
10-26-2006, 03:56 PM
http://www.gnsaquarium.com.au/html/ammonia_nitrite.html

Cichlid_Man
10-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I think a water change is now in order. I'd do a 20-30% today and if nitrites are still that high tomorrow, another then.

Hobbs!!!
I am right on top of it.
Getting it done right now...

Lady Hobbs
10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
You Rock. You definately have your stuff together. Sometimes those nitrites remain there for a week or even longer so don't stress too much if the changes aren't sudden for you. Think of it this way, you are darned near done with that cycling!

Cichlid_Man
10-27-2006, 12:15 AM
You Rock. You definately have your stuff together. Sometimes those nitrites remain there for a week or even longer so don't stress too much if the changes aren't sudden for you. Think of it this way, you are darned near done with that cycling!

OK, I did a 25% change and got the nitrites down to 1 instantly.
nitrates remain 5 -10 which is OK, and ammonia is still 0.

If the nitrites remain at 1,m then I will just let it roll!

kimmers318
10-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Sounds like Hobbs has kept you on the right track for success. I also understand the comment that these are sensitive cichlids, not community fish, but once the fish are there you can only work with what you have. I personally don't feel any fish should be used for cycling....I have seen the effects on my danios over the long term, but all too frequently it happens that someone comes home with a tank....reads the filter manual (or listens to the petstore) and it tells them to let the water filter for 24 hours and add fish. Biospira is supposed to be a wonderful product for instant cycling....but is also not available in alot of areas, so although that is a great solution, not always a feasible one. The best we can do is find a happy balance between the cycling process and the safety/health of the fish, which is what you have done. It will take your nitrites longer to disappear.....the nitrite destroying bacteria just take longer to grow and do their job. If you spend too much time doing water changes you not only lengthen the cycling process....you increase the length of time that the fish are subjected to the toxins in the water. You will soon see those nitrites come down and disappear and you can rock and roll! :) Just remember 2 add any further fish in small amounts so you don't upset the cycle by overloading the bioload. As you add fish you will increase the amount of ammonia created, and your bacteria will need to increase. Also...the next tank you start will be much easier since you will have bacteria you can add to it from the existing tank giving you a head start on the cycle.

Cichlid_Man
10-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I personally don't feel any fish should be used for cycling....I have seen the effects on my danios over the long term, but all too frequently it happens that someone comes home with a tank....reads the filter manual (or listens to the petstore) and it tells them to let the water filter for 24 hours and add fish. You will soon see those nitrites come down and disappear and you can rock and roll! :) Just remember 2 add any further fish in small amounts so you don't upset the cycle by overloading the bioload. As you add fish you will increase the amount of ammonia created, and your bacteria will need to increase. Also...the next tank you start will be much easier since you will have bacteria you can add to it from the existing tank giving you a head start on the cycle.

Hi Kimmer!
I also feel fish should not be used for cycling, but I think I explained my situation.
I couldn't find ammonia in this one horse town, no Birospira and I never heard of adding things like shrimp to assist in cycling till I came here.
I also live about 60 miles from the pet store, so when I did the setup, I added the fish. I can't afford to run back and forth to town at $279 a gallon of gas :-)
I don't listen to pet store people. They just want to sell you stuff. :-)
I really care about the fish and I watch them constantly.
This morning the nitrite was down from 2 to 1.
ammonia zero, and nitrate at 5 - 10.
The fish have beautiful color and are not stressing at all.
This is day 12, and I think I'll see the nitrites gone by Sunday, or at least lower than 1.
The chart I have here on fish stress says ammonia or nitrite at ANY level is not good, but it also shows a reading of 1 for nitrites is way at the bottom of the stress scale.
Hopefully they will be fine.
I'll be posting as I go and let you know when things are perfect.
For now, here is a photo of my completed project.
Let me know what you think. I wish the picture was better!

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Your tank is beautiful. I don't know how the picture could have been any better. When you are done with it (are we ever) take another pic and enter it in the photo contest for monthly winners.

Cichlid_Man
10-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Your tank is beautiful. I don't know how the picture could have been any better. When you are done with it (are we ever) take another pic and enter it in the photo contest for monthly winners.

That makes me feel good, Hobbs!
My tank is completed except for the cycling. The water is still a bit cloudy so I will wait to enter the contest when I get a fresh clean photo.

By the way, if you didn't read my last post all the way through, my nitrites are back to 1 and there is no ammonia and there is 5 - 10 nitrates.
I think I'll let it sit??
I have had some folks tell me to add something called prime and do a 50% water change???
You think I should just sit it out?

How do you enter a contest, and when????

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 04:21 PM
I would say a definate no! You have to have those nitrites to turn into nitrates. Obviously, high levels are toxic but you have those levels at a reasonable reading by doing the water change that you did. Like you, I think within the week your cycle will be a done deal.

In a perfect world, we would not cycle with fish at all and just let those levels climb to where they wish. But sometimes we have to work with what we have to work with. As Kim stated, your next cycle will go even smoother with the used media you now have in this tank and you will be less stressed after what you've learned on this tank.

When your nitrates get a bit too high for your comfort, just feed less until those levels are also down. I have even used my gravel cleaner to vacuum up surface debris but don't do big cleaning and get INTO that gravel for a bit. Let that gook stay there or your tank will go into another mini cycle. Swish your filter media around in old fish water and leave as is, as well. You can get into mini-cycles by doing too much cleaning.

I live 20 miles from town and even then, there is no LPS so I understand your problem with having to travel for everything. There are several fish stores an hour from me and I will probably take a cooler and go there to pick out my fish or just order online. They sell a very neat battery operated air pump for about $9 that gives 70 hours of air time so will purchase one of those, as well. It will help in the transport of fish for sure. It looks like this:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=WB3311

I think a person should have these on hand incase of power failure. If you want to check my blog someday, you will see what I went thru during a 21 hour loss of power for me. It was H***.

Gosh, I've enjoyed talking to you so much that now I am just rambling.

Cichlid_Man
10-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Hobbs,
I have enjoyed talking with you also. I am learning so much from everyone here.
If my fish could talk they would be thanking you too LOL!!!

I have to figure out how to eneter the contests??

Is there a place I can read up on that?

I just love this hobby and I can't wait for this cycling to be done!

As far as power failures, I have had my share of issues with that too.
I have now purchased a generator for the house. Nothing too expensive. Just enough to run the refridgerator, my well, and of course the tanks!
That battery air pump looks good too!
You have to have something to help when power goes down. We lose power here religiously!

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 07:26 PM
I have to admit that I've never seen a tank cycle go to page 5 in the forum. LOL You have kept it fun and interesting.

Cichlid_Man
10-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I have to admit that I've never seen a tank cycle go to page 5 in the forum. LOL You have kept it fun and interesting.

Yes, it was quite a long thread. Very informative for others.
I hope people will read!!!

Now I face the ICH and black spot issues

Cichlid_Man
10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
I keep reading up on cycling but after 14 days, my cycle seems stalled or something.

I even got my hands on Bio Spira and no change!

Ammonia=0
Nitrates=10
Nitrites=1
PH=8.2

I love everything but the nitrites!
If the nitrates are there, why aren't they "consuming" the nitrites?
What else could i do?

I am told that water changes will only prolong the cycle.

Lady Hobbs
10-31-2006, 02:02 AM
Nitrites hang in there for awhile but when they go, seem to go all at once so patience my friend.