PDA

View Full Version : Any other dwarf cichlid...?

travie
03-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Could any other type of dwarf cichlid go in a 29g tank along with a dwarf gourami, neon tetras, black neon tetras, guppies, and cories? I know German Blue and Bolivian Rams can. I was wondering if there was other that could? The time is getting closer when I will finally be able to add some.

Incredulous_Ed
03-20-2008, 07:38 PM
It sounds kind of cramped. How many of each fish are in there? You could get a trio of apistogramma borellii. They stay small and are generally peaceful.

travie
03-20-2008, 08:10 PM
At the moment: 1 dwarf gourami, about 9 neon tetras, either 2 or 3 black neon tetras, 6 guppies, 4 pygmy cories, and a lone panda cory. I realize I won't be able to add them with the current numbers, but eventually I would like to add some type of dwarf cichlid.

Incredulous_Ed
03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Why not make more of one species instead a little number of alot of species?

travie
03-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm still just trying to figure out my future stocking plan that I would like to have. I'm eventually wanting a pair/trio of dwarf cichlids to be my center piece of the fish with the two schools of tetras. Guppies were free, so they kinda ruined my plans. I'm visualizing 6 neon tetras, 6 black neon tetras, pair/trio of dwarf cichlids, and maybe cories. Possibly more then 6 tetras in a school if space allows.

country_boy454
03-21-2008, 12:22 AM
You could put a pair/trio of Apistogramma gibbiceps. They max out at 2 inches and are peaceful fish.

Incredulous_Ed
03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Why not just one scholl of like 20tetras?

MelonMan
03-23-2008, 09:41 AM
i agree with ed. one school of a single species looks much better than two seperate schools of different species. Apistogramma cacatuoides are one of my favourites google and see if you like them.

travie
03-24-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm the type of person who needs more then one type of a fish in a tank except for oscars and bettas. I will slowly want to get my stocking to school of tetra, school of cory, and a pair or trio of dwarf cichlid.

MelonMan
03-24-2008, 09:16 AM
sounds perfect a school of tetras, cories a trio or pair of dwarf cichlids and a school of hatchets would be one of the most beautiful tanks. hatchets are top dwelling and cories, darf cichlid and tetras are all in the bottom third of the tank. just a suggestion

Incredulous_Ed
03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
in a 29gal:
12 tetras
6 hatchets
6 cories
and 3 dwarf cichlids

Of course this is assuming you have good filitration.

travie
03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I'll have good filtration by time I get around to putting fish in the tank. I will have an AC70 running on the tank. My 29g will be connected to my 10g. So the whole system will have 39 gallons in it. I have the water pump pumping water into another filter that will also be on the 29g.

I'll probably try to get a pair of GBRs, assuming I can get that lucky. Then I will just build up one of the other 3 schools.