PDA

View Full Version : air stone

Felisha
10-21-2006, 02:13 AM
:confused: hey all! i have an air stone that won't produce anymore bubbles. how can i clean it or do i just have to buy another one? i've had it for about 5 months now and i don't know what happened. one day it was fine with lots and lots of bubbles and the next day, it was just barely spitting bubbles. it looks like a small stream of small white baby bubbles. please help. any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. thanx a million!

fee

Lady Hobbs
10-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Poke a bunch of holes in it with a needle. Those airstones do plug up.

NorthernBoy
10-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Unplug the hose from the pump that leads to the stone. Blow air through it with your mouth. If it feels difficult, it should blw through very easy, then replace the stone. You can replace the stone for a few bucks but if you overwork your air pump it can be quite expensive to replace depending on the pump. I disagree with hobbs here about just poking holes in it. You can buy a new stone for like $3. Why risk pump failure and relly overheating and possible fire from/in your pump to save $3?

Felisha
10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
i thought as much. i'll just have to replace it. i never knew airstones could plug up since there's air blowing through them. but thanx for the fast reply. you rock!

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Now I get to disagree with NB. :) My airstones were $8 each for 4 of them. Even on the box they come in, it said if bubbles decrease to make new holes with a needle. I've done it now twice. I've only had mine 3 months and aren't about to spend $32 every month or two for replacements.

NorthernBoy
10-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Wow, you spend $8 on a airstone. You can get great ones for like $2. LOL

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 12:56 PM
They are 28 inches long. Larger than the ones I've seen at Walmart. Got them thru PetSmart. But, it did say to add holes when bubbles decreased. Who cares who makes the holes.......me or the factory? LOL

kimmers318
10-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Sounds like you are using bubblestone wands if they are 28 inches long....and I can understand the price. A small bubble stone is just that....a small (maybe an inch) stone that you can connect to an airline, and are usually fairly inexpensive.

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Ohhhhhhhh..........now I get it.