PDA

View Full Version : Expensive

staraquarist
10-21-2006, 12:16 AM
What's the most expensive cichlid you can buy?

babyhova1309
10-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Probably the discus

William
10-22-2006, 10:10 PM
That is hard question to answer but it is not the discus (If we are talking species. certain discus pairs can be very expensive but so can the right flowerhorn etc)

Fairy cichlids from lake tanganyika is an example of expensive cichlids.

If we talk about singel cichlids rather than species there are as an example flowerhorn cichlids that have been sold for US$ 100 000 and up.

lotsofishes
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
If your talking about breeds of cichlids it varies as to where you go to get the fish.... but if your talking about size, that is what I have found is the more expensive. The size of the fish will greatly determine the cost especially if your looking for a specific size or sex.

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2006, 01:35 AM
As far as monthly upkeep, I'd have to go with the cichlid. Toss some rocks in the aquarium and you're good to go.

I was reading today about Discus tanks and wow......especially going to planted tanks. The substrate, the plant substrate, the fertilizing, the lights, the plants, the RO system for soft water and then on top of it, the CO2 for the plants. And not one fish has been bought yet.

jman
12-07-2006, 01:18 AM
hate to say it but the flowerhorn is indeed the most expensive cichlid there is simply because the worth to the creator is limitless. Flowerhorns are crossbreed over and over which allows the creator to make more changes to 'say' to the customer that they are worth more than another. Example lump on head, color variety, temperament... They can be found in other fish but since the changes can be made the flowerhorn does become more expensive.

jeffs99dime
12-07-2006, 03:17 AM
probably the most expensive cichlid would be a rare cichlid to your lfs or sometimes hybrids can be very pricey.