PDA

View Full Version : Is my clown fish eating properly? :S

ashm5
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I'v had my clownfish for two weeks now, it's my first fish in my saltwater aquarium and I have only fed him a few times so far because he never seems to be eating it, I put some food in tonight and for the first time he actually made the ffort to swim towards the food, he takes it into his mouth but then looks like he spits it all out again, not sure wether hes keeping a little bit behind but apart from not eating he seems absolutely fine he's colorful and healthy but could probably do with a partner (next wkend) :)

any help/suggestions would be great,

at the moment I'm feeding him on King British Marine Fish Food, which I think is meant to be complete but I cant imagine that little clown eating a whole shrimp to himself, and don't want to put too much in if it isnt going to be eaten.

Thanks, ash

cocoa_pleco
03-19-2008, 10:45 PM
haha, mine did that. he would eat pellets, and when they hit the gravel it was like they landed in garbage or something and he wouldnt touch them

try some food that will fly around more like frozen krill or brine shrimp cubes

Tigerbarb
03-19-2008, 11:05 PM
haha, mine did that. he would eat pellets, and when they hit the gravel it was like they landed in garbage or something and he wouldnt touch them

try some food that will fly around more like frozen krill or brine shrimp cubes
Now that's what I call fish personality! LOL I love it when a fish is picky.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-20-2008, 02:40 AM
I'd agree, try something of the frozen variety like Mysis shrimp or Brine Shrimp. You can buy them in flat packs so that you can break off just a small portion.

ashm5
03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I'v heard about using a clip to put lettuce in the tank for them or something? not sure wether thats just for freshwater or saltwater but does that sound like a good idea? or maybe one of those rings which stops the food from moving to much, as he does seem to be quite a bad swimmer

cocoa_pleco
03-20-2008, 09:28 PM
i use clip on dried seaweed for my yellow tang, and the clownfish doesnt touch it, he only chases krill

ashm5
03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
is that live krill??

cocoa_pleco
03-21-2008, 05:10 PM
nope, just frozen krill cubes, my wrasse usually destroys the whole cube and the other fish go around eating loose flying pieces