PDA

View Full Version : Jellybean Cichlid Information Sheet

tropfish
03-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, i've had my jellybean cichlid (Killer, rightly named too haha) and i thought i'd put up a sheet about them since i think i am the only site member to own one (correct me if i'm mistaken)

Origin
The Jellybean cichlid is a hybrid of a white convict and a blood parrot cichlid. Since blood parrots are also hybrids, you will find that jellybeans can vary widely in body shape and mouth function (mine has a fully functioning mouth but in the store other's have less functioning ones.)

Temperment
Jellybean cichlids are particularly aggressive, this is really where you can see the cinvict in them. Mine used ot like with 3 smaller odd fish that i couldn't put in the 5g or 55g. Now, i had no idea what to expect this fish's temperment to be like because there is not much information on them. Anyway, by the end of the first month he had killed off the fish with him (a guppy, a glowlight tetra, and a female betta.) This came as a suprise to me.

Personality
This fish is full of personality. Whenever i come up to the tank he runs right up to greet me, although he has no problem biting me and even picking up gravel and spitting it at me when i'm cleaning the tank. the bites don't hurt but gave me quite a suprise when it first happened. I even play a game with him. I feed him primarily sinking pellets, and i take one at a time and drop them in the water and he chases them down and eats them. Occasionally i'll put one in the filter output and watch it shoot out into the water as he swims to catch it, he rarely ever misses. Also, his tank is planted with java moss on driftwood and amazon swords planted in the ground. If he doesn't like where one of the swords is he'll pull it out. Secondly, he likes to make a small "pit" in the gravel, kind of like how a cichlid cleans out his cave. He picks up one peice of gravel at a time and moves it to the other side of the tank and puts it into a pile.

Feeding
I feed mine HBH super soft frozen food alternative sinking pellets supplemented freeze -dried bloodworms one or twice a week, an occasional algae wafer, and wardley high quality goldfish flakes (i used these 3 times a week with the pellets because they help make his color more vibrant)

Size and color
The Jellybean tops off at 3" in size. The colors range from a pure white to a pale lemon yellow, and depeloves beautiful iridescent spots on it's fins.

Tank Size
I have mine in a heavily moderately planted 10g tank with an Aquaclear 30 filter. I do a w/c once a week. I would not reccomend keeping one in any smaller than a 10g tank. Also, i wouldn't reccmoned two in anything less than a 20g due to their aggressive nature.

Water Chemistry
The PH of the tank is 7.0, and they can adapt to a wide variety of water chemistries.

Ending Notes
This fish is a very fun and interactive pet that can make a single "wet pet" for aquarists with a smaller tank. Just make sure that you keep them with fish as aggressive as itself or it will pick on them.

angelcakes
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
very good write up.............:19:

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Good write up. I can't imagine breeding my female BP with a convict. Just cleaning the tank is a true race to move one thing, yank my hand out, move something out, yank my hand out, python vac getting attack, Hobbs getting attacked........gez. What's up with that?

Prolly because I have a pair?

tropfish
03-19-2008, 09:53 PM
That's weird hobbs, i have a male/female pair of BP's and they don't touch me at all, they totally ignore my hands. My JB on the other hand tries to attack me continously. What i really get a kick out of is how he throws gravel at me, very funny.

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Mine are all over me! Do yours lay eggs? Even after I take the eggs out, they think they are still and are nuts for 5 more days. Then settle down for a bit until time to spawn again.

tropfish
03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Do yours lay eggs? Even after I take the eggs out, they think they are still and are nuts for 5 more days. Then settle down for a bit until time to spawn again.

Nope they don't. One usually picks a cave and cleans it out, but they don't really spend to much time together and have not gone through the motions of spawning, although i'm sure there male/female (checked myself numerous times)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Hobbs, why don't you let them breed? If you got them recently (read after 2000) then they are likely not sterile and the spawn should be viable.

tropfish
03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Iluvmygoldbarb, where did you hear that? As far as i know blood parrot males are still 99% infertile.

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I should try it, I guess. I usually remove the eggs to lessen the aggression. Whenever I check the eggs are generally all white so no good but I also see clear ones so may give it a go next time. Hummmm.........that means in about 3 more weeks.

trop.....it's stated in a few places that males have been given fertility injections but who knows?

tropfish
03-19-2008, 10:14 PM
really, i haven't seen them. That would be cool, and the price of BP's would go down also since they'd be easier to breed.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Do a google for Parrot Cichlids and you will more than likely find a whole site dedicated entirely to them. Look through that site and you will find plenty of accounts of fertile male Parrots and the history of their gaining fertility. You will also find stories of successful Parrot spawns.

tropfish
03-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the info, i'll check into that.

jbeining75
03-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Good post trop!!!!!!

tropfish
03-20-2008, 02:23 AM
thanks jbeining

Hairback357
03-20-2008, 03:42 AM
I just had a long discussion recently on another forum about JB's. It seems that there are short bodied dwarf Convicts that are called JB's that are not Hybrid at all. They look just like a convict only round and smaller. I guess that is the problem with common names is that they may refer to more than one fish in some cases. I wish I could find these fish but so far they have been pretty rare around here.

tropfish
03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Well, that's very interesting. The one i have definately has some blood parrot. Just looking in the dealers tank (Only one store near me sells JB's.) you can tell that the fish vary widely in shape and especially mouth formation, which is a very prominate feature of the blood parrot.

Ellen4God
03-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Just a question from somebody who doesn't really know much about this and is a little confused -

I thought it was said that anything with a candy name ("Jellybean") was dyed...? Is this not correct?

tropfish
03-20-2008, 07:44 PM
That's partially true Ellen. While it usually refers to dyed fish, Jellybean is a name used for dyed blood parrot, dyed jellybean cichlids, as well as regular undyed jellybean cichlids. I made sure that the ones i was buying weren't dyed, this fish store doesn't sell dyed fish period.

Ellen4God
03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
That's partially true Ellen. While it usually refers to dyed fish, Jellybean is a name used for dyed blood parrot, dyed jellybean cichlids, as well as regular undyed jellybean cichlids. I made sure that the ones i was buying weren't dyed, this fish store doesn't sell dyed fish period.

Alrighty! Just thought I would ask. Makes things a little confusing. lol thanks

rande77
11-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi All
My name is Bob & I'm new to the group. I acquired this fish about 6 mos ago and I'm wondering if it is a Dwarf Jellybean. Great Fish...would love to find another.
Thanks for your help
Bob

Red
11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Yes rande, it is. I hope you didnt buy it dyed.

KrytterKrys
11-02-2008, 08:07 PM
i have a breeding pair of jb's...they are very aggressive lil things so its just them and a pleco together, i know they would def kill anything else i put in their tank! theyre always having babies! and they turn a bright pink/orange when breeding...but im prob gonna get rid of them and put something else in the tank that doesnt breed as much, and is a lil more friendly :)