PDA

View Full Version : A sac full of eggs

lahlumdi
03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I have a female five banded barb and 3 males. About 2 months ago she became larger and larger, slower.... she sought refuge in the castle. She hid under the plants. I decided she must be full of eggs. Then I believe I actually saw her lay the last one... a red squiggly thing one day. And another fish snatched it up.

OK. As I have read up on fish and eggs today, if I understand correctly (and I am new at all this fish stuff)... an egg laying female fish gets full of eggs. But in order to get babies, she needs to not only lay them and be separated from them so SHE doesn't eat them, males need to be around to fertilize the actual eggs AFTER they leave her body...is that right? But not eat them? Or do they fertilize them as they come out? Or... um... gee how does this work.

If it were as simple as putting the momma fish in my second tank to lay her eggs and then removing her and then caring for the fry... that's one thing... but this spawning. Now I'm not so sure about that.

gem
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
If you're seeing red squiggly things.....likely it's parasites not eggs. Spawning requires a male to fertalize the eggs while they're being laid.

lahlumdi
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
OK, I guess eggs are little round things, or oval things... rather clear? Sometimes I am hesitant to assume the obvious... afraid I missed something. But after that full stage, she seemed fine. Now she seems to be filling up again. Hmmm. I thought maybe she was filling with eggs again.

gem
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Red squiggly things tell me worms. The bloated appearance indicates that as well. I would love to give you advice...and while I have years experience with keeping fish, I have never had a parasite problem. I was hoping ILMGB would chime in on this.

lahlumdi
03-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Sooooo if the other fish in the tank ate what was coming out of her that might mean they could be getting it too? This doesn't sound good at all. When I was thinking of the patter of little lifeforms I wasn't thinking of the paracytic kind.