PDA

View Full Version : returning beginner question

confusedxx
10-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I used to have an acquarium about 15 years ago and would like to get one again now. I remember the time it took to maintain the aquarium and wanted to ask about that now to see if things have changed in 15 years.

I used to drain 25% of the water and refill it weekly. This was always a messy chore and ended up with water on the floor, the table, the kitchen and elsewhere. Is the water changing routine still required or have there been advancements in the last 15 years to make it easier?

Is there a good reference source for beginners "everything you need to know" about fresh water aquariums?

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh yes, the water changing thing is still here. Fish still pee, you know. :)
Now they have this handy gizmo that goes right from the faucet of your sink so you can drain the tank directly into your kitchen sink as you vacuum the gravel and then fill it right from there from your faucet. It's called the Python and there is another by Lee. PetSmart has them for around $25.

I still use the bucket method. Have learned the put a towel down first!

NorthernBoy
10-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Confused- Check out williams ebook. it is posted on this forum. just down load and read that. it will answer about 99% of your ?'s.

CJ1
10-21-2006, 09:11 PM
It's not messy at all doing water changes. I just use the basic vacuum/siphon hose. Vacuum gravel while pulling water out.

Severus
10-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Yea, it might take a little practice, but the bucket method can become somewhat efficient once you do it enough. Not nearly as efficient as a python though