PDA

View Full Version : How can I do this?

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2008, 01:27 AM
My flower pot takes up too much room in my tank for my blood parrots. I was thinking if I could turn it upside down and cut a U opening for a doorway, it would take up lots less room. How in the world would a person cut an opening and with what tool?

My second thought was to get a plastic flower pot, cut out the opening and then glue stones to it. Possibly the weight of the stones would keep it from floating?

What ya think?

Drumachine09
03-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Either using a nail to score it deep, and then knocking it out, or using some sort of rotary tool.

jbeining75
03-19-2008, 01:54 AM
You can try using a dremel Hobbs but it may shatter it. You could use the plastic flower pot as a base and just silicone on the stones using GE silicone 1.....

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2008, 02:42 AM
I have siliconed stones to one of my other pots and it worked fine using that silicone. It's cutting out the hole that leaves me in the dark. (My featherfins caves have sand glued to it, too.)

Knocking out the bottom of the pots is easy as it's thinner but I don't know about the sides.

Anja
03-19-2008, 03:47 AM
I have siliconed stones to one of my other pots and it worked fine using that silicone. It's cutting out the hole that leaves me in the dark. (My featherfins caves have sand glued to it, too.)

Knocking out the bottom of the pots is easy as it's thinner but I don't know about the sides.

The only safe way I know to cut a clay pot is with a tile saw. If you know anyone who has one, just make puppy eyes. Cutting an opening should be a matter of a few minutes. (You can rent them, but it's prolly not worth it, unless you have a bigger project at the same time)

I've also managed an opening by drilling a line of holes very close to each other with a mason drill, but that usually takes a toll on a few pots until it works out. I find it works best drilling from the inside (obviously depends on the size of the drill and pot) through the *wet* clay onto a firm surface like a thick board. But be prepared to have the patient die on the table. :o/

Alternatively you can buy clay pots with an opening already in them or fire one yourself. (Try your local school board or church or anyone who gives pottery classes for a firing oven. They usually charge a small fee per item, you might have to wait for a batch to be filled.)

Altogether a plastic pot is easier. Some sold as cover pots (not the dime a dozen nursery pots) don't even look half bad.

Let me know how it went,
Anja

Collin1104
04-03-2008, 07:46 AM
the ceramic pots are ridiculously hard to just chip a little doorway in.. i did it on my first pot but i havent been able to do it without shattering the whole pot the last ten times lol

angelcakes
04-03-2008, 07:49 AM
either sounds nice........ive cut a hole in my plastic flowerpot for my oscars they love it:19:

smoochxoxo
04-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Is there a way you can line it first so no water escapes when you put it in and then freeze the pot with the water in it to stabalize the walls of the pot then try to keep scoring it with a nail and then try to chip the opening out?
GL

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Pots gone. I smashed it to pieces. :)

Billythefish
04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Im to late but just a tip, i do it this way, stuff news papper in the pot so its stiff, (this stops vibraton), then i tape around where im doing the hole,(this prevents craking/chipping) then i use a boring attachment for my drill and cut the hole, you can get the boring kit in any d.i.y/hardware shop i paid £5 for mine and it comes in handy all the time. Hope this helps!

gem
04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I did it with a pair of pliers and a file. Just chip away at it slowly. : ) I wouldn't use a plastic one....Kind of a pain to keep down.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
These stupid flower pots used to cost $1 and now are $7. I tried the plastic pots. Forget it. They pop to the top like a piece of driftwood. I just might trying gluing stones to one, tho, and see what kind of a mess I can make from that. LOL

Billythefish
04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Is there a way you can line it first so no water escapes when you put it in and then freeze the pot with the water in it to stabalize the walls of the pot then try to keep scoring it with a nail and then try to chip the opening out?
GL
Good'ish thinking but frozen water/ice expands dont it!

Rue
04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
You should be able to cut them in half...I've seen that done fairly often...

Then you still have a 'cave' with each half of the pot...