PDA

View Full Version : What to do with new Java Fern plants?

LosC
03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Picking up 2 java fern plants today. How do I plant these? And where? Do I snip the roots and darker leaves?

Lady Hobbs
03-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Leave all the springie dark roots right there. Attach to wood or rough rocks with fishing line.

angelcakes
03-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Leave all the springie dark roots right there. Attach to wood or rough rocks with fishing line.
im glad im not the only one that attaches plants with fishing line......:19: ps leave all the roots

LosC
03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Will elastics work? I can't plant them into the gravel?

angelcakes
03-18-2008, 06:33 PM
wouldn't advise useing elastic.........if you have a angling shop buy you fishing line dont cost much it is safer........:19:

Adrian
03-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Will elastics work? I can't plant them into the gravel?

Dont use elastics. Reason... try this simple test. Put a rubber band around your finger a couple of times so it is snug. Tell me how long it takes before it becomes uncomfortable?

With plants, it will slowly start to cut into the stem and kill the plant. Using cloth thread, type you sew with is better than fishing line, as cloth thread will degrade in about a month, where fishing line will not. By the time the thread disintegrates, your plant should be rooted to whatever it is that you tied it too.

You can plant them into gravel....just make sure that you leave the stem out of the gravel. Look at the plant closely. You will see the root mass, then follow it up. You will see a whitish/yellowish color on the stem before it goes all green. That is as far as you can plant it. Do not go above into the green or it will die. I don't know why it does that, but it does.

Tolley
03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
fishing line or nylon thread works... I use fishing line too angelcakes. You can plant them im not sure about planting in gravel but i expect you can.

LosC
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Ok no elastics then. Theres a large LFS by my house, would they have fishing line?

angelcakes
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
fishing line or nylon thread works... I use fishing line too angelcakes. You can plant them im not sure about planting in gravel but i expect you can.
great stuff fishing line.............:19:

hpt84
03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Wally world would have fishing line or cotton thread. Basically any supermarket.

country_boy454
03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
They can be planted but do not put the rhizome in the gravel as it will rot and the plant will die. I have some planted and some tied to a piece of drift wood with fishing line.