PDA

View Full Version : Questions again guys! Spots on glass

siymdapolio
03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
hello community!
I have woken up today to find that i fhave a few spots on my tank very nuetral and not very dense and i have not tried to rub it off what to hear what you guys think. heres a picture for yall to check it out.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/siymdapolio/100_1225.jpg

Thanks for the help guys

Lady Hobbs
03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Inside or out? I use a sponge to clean the inside or grab a handful of filter floss for the inside. Outside I spray a paper towel and wipe it off. Never spray the glass directly!

I also started putting a window squeegie to work! I wipe the inside of the glass down with that now, too, and it works awesome.

It looks to me that something is eating at your swords (ferns?) I've not seen the algae appear as brown spots like that before and generally it's on the top of the leaves and not the bottoms.

siymdapolio
03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry these spots are not on the java fern and i have no idea why that leaf looks so brown and dark. The spots are on the inside of the tank on the glass. Should i just scrub them off???

There are some spots on the other side of the tank i just found and exactly the same looking.

I clean the outside of the glass with windex is this ok??? to make it clear

Lady Hobbs
03-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes, use a razor blade if need be. Glad it isn't on the plants. Looks like it in the picture, doesn't it.

This algae is not uncommon in newly set up tanks. Goes away in a while.

tropfish
03-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Yea, it's just aestetically annoying. Just wipe it off and that's all.

siymdapolio
03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks so much, Yup sorry about the confusion the spots do look like they are on the leaves. I will rub it off right now!!! Get rid of the nasty crap.

Thanks so much guys for the speedy responses and help!
Lady hobbs you say rub it off with filter floss??? I have some of that and a scraper that is prettty old so i would prefer the floss.

Lady Hobbs
03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Sometimes it takes a bit of muscle to get it off and a scrapper might be needed. Just stay away from the seal on the edge of the tank.

siymdapolio
03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Ok will do. Dont want the tank to start leaking.... I have no idea what i would do dont have any friends with tanks and i would need to rush to LFS and ask if i can borrow a tank lol.

Thanks for the responses guys! really appreciated

siymdapolio
03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Tank is looking good now! No more spots. I moved the light away from were it was fixed and spotted tons more! were the light was shining so i got a lot of them scraped off thanks for the help guys!

angelcakes
03-18-2008, 06:00 PM
yay all spots gone?................:19:

Adrian
03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
The brown spots on the underside of the leaves is actually seed pods. That is how many ferns reproduce.

The spots on the glass remind me of spot green algae, usually just wiped off, or scraped off with a razorblade.

Perhaps also, cut the light back a bit on your tank. I don't know what type of light you have, or how long it is on. If you are using incandescent bulbs, that may be part of the problem. Incandescent bulbs often operate at a color temperature that allows algae to bloom, while the other plants end up starving....

Blue Ram
03-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Having the light off will help lower how much algae yo have in your tank. I use to have big algae problems until i did a big cleaning!

siymdapolio
03-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Yup algea is all gone but i only use 24 wat light and its a 35 gallon less than 1 wat a gallon so i donno what to do about the plants

Yup the seed spods are allready sprouting out and making new little babies looks like hairy roots :D

Lighting is on for 13 hours and 11 hours off and its only 24 wat so this is why i have it on for a little bit longer.

Blue Ram
03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I use a 15 watt and i still had a huge algae problem.