PDA

View Full Version : Quick plant question

LosC
03-18-2008, 01:45 AM
They say the more poop the more better for the plant. Would it be beneficial for my plant if I were to add a poop machine like a Pleco? Ofcourse it would be a small Pleco like a Clown for example in my 20g, or is there a smaller Pleco?

Lady Hobbs
03-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Pleco's get way too big for a 20 gallon. Too big for even a 55 gallon. The bristlenose would work for the smaller tanks that even those would be too large for your tank. But if you are looking for something to just fertilize plants, best to buy it.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-18-2008, 01:47 AM
It's not so much the poop as it is the decomposition of the poop that produces ammonia, eventually nitrates. If your plants are not keeping your nitrate level at 0 now then there is no point. The only time something like that would benifit you would be if you actually were dosing with nitrates.

Incredulous_Ed
03-18-2008, 02:28 AM
The fish you have are already doing the job, unless they dont poop, which they are.

Algenco
03-18-2008, 02:50 AM
pleco's have a tendency to tear up plants

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-18-2008, 02:53 AM
That's a little general. There are 731 species in that family, not all of them are rough on plants. The Ancistrus genus as a whole is very easy on them.

Algenco
03-18-2008, 03:03 AM
I didn't say they would eat them, they have a tendency to uproot unless they are the smaller species

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-18-2008, 03:10 AM
I know. I didn't suggest that you said "eat" but even to say they are rough on them is too general IMO. I have a great little clown plec that is not rough on them at all. I could name a number of species off hand that are not at all rough on them in any way. Sure, when you get into the larger genra like the Scobiancistrus, Oligancistrus, and even some of the Baryancistrus, they are bound to be rough on them, but the members of the Hypancistrus, Ancistrus, Pseudancistrus and Pekolita genra are generally not hard on them at all. Most of the fish in those genra stay quite small. Monster plecs don't really make up the majority of the species in the family, but because of the popularity of H. plecostomus, they get a bad rap.

LosC
03-18-2008, 04:19 AM
I think the 20 fish I have make enough poop for my plant. But I thought the more poop the better, which would turn into fertilizer.