PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish substitute

Akira
10-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Hey,

I have recently bought a new fishtank, measuring 100cm (39.4inch) long, 40cm (15.76) wide and 50cm (19.7inch) hight. I wish to have a school of cardinaltetra's (Paracheirodon axelrodi) in it, about 15 or so. Though, because the aquarium is not so large, I think they will not swim together, but just be all over the place. Someone suggested to me that I could place one Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) in the tank, so that the cardinaltetra's would think it's a threat and cluster together. But everywhere on the internet I read that my tank is too small for even one angelfish, and that angelfish should be kept at least as a couple. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and if so, what other fish that will not eat the tetra's can I use to scare them a little bit into grouping together?

Greetings,

Akira

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I have two angels that were sold to me as a pair. They do not get along at all so I think that information was inaccurate. No way can you sex them unless they are mating. That means you'd have to get several of them to insure you have both sexes.

They did very well together for some time and now will attack each other the second they are together. So annoying as I wanted them together in my 55 gallon tank. As it is, one is in that tank and the other alone in the 30 gallon. I don't know as I'd be prepared for tons of them if they did mate and all the separating, etc, of them as they matured.

The meanest of the two will have to remain separated and will have to be happy in that 30 gallon tank until I can add another 55 gallon in a couple of months. I may just add a couple small cichlids to the tank with that one and leave it there.