PDA

View Full Version : Plants in fishless cycle

sandy_n
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
In my enthusiasm I bought a few floating plants (whose name escapes me now) and some Christmas tree moss forgetting that I have a tank that is going thru the fishless cycle. Can the plants still go in when they arrive or what should I do with them? And, while I'm here, do I need to add Flourish or something to the water AFTER the tank is done cycling?

smaug
03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
By all means put the plants in now,however slight they will have a positive effect on your cycling,especially when you start showing nitrates.Dont add any ferts for a while,floaters are not especially nutrient hungry.Later on when you do decide to start ferts flourish is a good place to start.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Agreed, you can certainly add them right away. They will suck up some ammonia and nitrate. The plants will absolutely thrive in the tank during the cycle.

sandy_n
03-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Whew!!!!! That's great. Thank you guys...you made my day! :19:

siymdapolio
03-18-2008, 04:41 AM
Yup its allways a good idea. Plants form established tanks are allways benificial and effictive. They have good bacteria on them as well.

cocoa_pleco
03-18-2008, 04:54 AM
yep, plants love the ammonia to take in

if you add enough plants, and i mean heavily plant, you can add fish right away since the plants take in the ammonia the fish produce

siymdapolio
03-18-2008, 05:30 AM
LFS has told me that too cocoa

sandy_n
03-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Oh wow! That's a great suggestion. Thanks cocoa. :c3:

smaug
03-18-2008, 10:23 PM
yep, plants love the ammonia to take in

if you add enough plants, and i mean heavily plant, you can add fish right away since the plants take in the ammonia the fish produce
That would work great,If you have the lights and the other nutrients to support a large amount of plants,just ammonia will not support a large plant load if the other foundations are not in place.I would keep your plantings to a minimum if you do not have the lights and a fertinlizing substrate.