PDA

View Full Version : Krib Behavior

RichBowyer
03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
About two weeks or so ago my male krib harassed to death three of my community fish over a five day period. Twice before that I had witnessed the male "fanning". I witnessed this again yesterday.

I "THINK" that maybe they bred and thats why he became so aggressive. I'd like some experienced opinions on what did happen and when/if it will reoccur.
Thanks,
Rich

gem
03-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Pelvicachromis Pulcher are not truly suited for a community tank. While it is possible to keep one with community fish, it should be done with caution. Especially if you have a pair. While it's possible you have witnessed a spawn, it's usually the female that will fan the eggs and the male will guard. It's common for the male to babysit though. During spawning and subsequently raising fry, Kribensis will be especially agressive to the point of flat out visciousness. More suited tank mates would be a very fast school of hearty tetra species in a larger tank. Kribensis have been known to take on a large oscar during spawning.

angelcakes
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
taking on a large oscar............wow!!:19:

gem
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
LOL large oscar...not huge Oscar. They are pretty fearless when spawning.

Arkie
03-19-2008, 12:34 AM
i must be pretty lucky with my pair of kribs, mine arent aggressive at all - even when breeding. at the moment they are living with their past fry, convict fry, jewel cichlid fry and some bristlenose with no problems. good luck with yours though :19: