PDA

View Full Version : My "special" kenyi

smcurry83
03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
So I've got a kenyi that has an obvious swim bladder problem. He can swim and navigate throught the tank with no problem, but sometimes when he stops moving, he rolls to one side until he starts swimming again. From what I've read, it's just a defect from birth and it's not going to kill him. So should I just leave him be and he'll just be my "special" kenyi?

jbeining75
03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Try to salt the tank a little and see if he will eat any deshelled boiled peas... Maybe he is constipated and the swim bladder is being squeezed by the enlarged area. Does the other Kenji do it or just him.... Maybe it is just the birth defect,....huh....

smcurry83
03-17-2008, 02:22 AM
It's just the one. He doesn't look bloated or anything and he eats fine, but maybe he is constipated. Maybe I'll try the peas tomorrow and see how that goes.

RainMan
03-20-2008, 05:03 AM
I've read about the pea trick in a bunch of sites. I think it's worth a shot. I've heard that the frozen peas thawed out work too. Make sure to shuck the pea skin off. I've also heard fresh spinach. It's supposed to encourage destruction of the impaction. But, almost all of the references say stop feeding for 3-4 days.

The other option is removing the air with a hypodermic needle. I'm not one to operate on my fish though. Too damn scarry.

smcurry83
06-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, it's been a while since I posted anything else about this. It definitely wasn't a constipation issue, because even after fasting and feeding peas, the kenyi continued this strange behavior for another month or so. I have noticed recently that it doesn't have the problem any more. I personally think it was just a swim bladder issue from birth and the problem has rectified itself over time. Either that or the kenyi learned to compensate and work through it. (the latter seems a little far fetched)

sailor
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
What makes up your kenyi's diet?

smcurry83
06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Hikari cichlid gold pellets during the week, freeze dried brine shrimp on Satudays, peas on Sundays. On variying nights of the week, there is zucini/cucumber/lettuce in the tank for the plecos; I'm sure they get some of that too.

sailor
06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Most of that diet is great but I would stop feeding the freeze dried brine shrimp. Most of the fish out of lake Malawi are vegetarians and should not eat any protien items such as shrimp. Not saying they won't eat it but they should not get any. They have a very long digestive tract and any pure protien items can rot in there. They call this Malawi Bloat.

smcurry83
06-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Ok. That's very good to know. That stuff really makes a mess in the tank anyways. I just finished the first pack of it, so I definitely won't be buying any more. Thanks Sailor!