PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my powerheads, lift tubes and UGF...

mixin
10-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Hello all,

I greatly respect the opinions here and am starting a poll to direct me to my best option with the following situation, I hope you will vote! Visit my profile for the details, but the skinny is that I have a 29-gallon community tank with an under gravel filter (UGF) and an Aqua Clear 150 HOB filter with sponge, carbon and zeolite. I do 20% water changes once a week (adding liquid bacteria and stress coat conditioner also) and change the carbon and zeolite bags once a month. Currently hooked up to the UGF are two Aqua Clear 301 powerheads running at about 50% power each (so I dont get a fish swirl going!) with a little but of bubbles coming out of each one. With all the bad post I've been reading about UGFs, I wanted to give a little more thought to my setup to make sure I'm giving the best possible environment for my stock. Please vote below as to what I should do or post if you think something totally different. Thanks!!!

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2006, 11:52 PM
My vote would be to get rid of the UGF and use the power head for a sponge filter. This is in addition to the Aquar Clear you are already using.

Only my personal opinion. I don't like UGF.

kimmers318
10-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I have to agree with Hobbs....once I used an internal filter and then a canister I would never go back to UGF.

mixin
10-31-2006, 05:47 PM
thanks all, I belive I will remove my ugf and install one of these (below) on each of my aquaclear 301 powerheads. I looked with a flashlight under my tank and there was already a bunch of brown particulate build up (feces?) and uneaten flake food piled up under my ugf only after like 3-months- yuck! I can see my changeouts and gravel vacuuming have no effect on that stuff.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=119&PROD_ID=01005750020101

Reckless_Angel
10-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Never used an UGF but from some of what I hear I don't want to....

Currently on my 250l (60gal? ) I have a external mechanical makes it so easy to clean when needed just flip the taps, lift the top change the water, replace the top filter, connect back up, flip the taps, and back in action....

Glasstapper
11-01-2006, 05:56 AM
I wouldn't personally use one just because they seem to be a bit of headache.

I don't understand why you want to change your filtration, though, if it's already working as it should. Many people use UG filters with success, so maybe you could just not install it again in any future tanks.

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2006, 09:54 AM
When I vacuum my gravel, I want it clean not all that rotting stuff under there. What a nice place for worms, bugs and ick to live! Also can lose fry there. I bought 4 of them and have all four crammed in the closet.

mixin
01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
I have taken the advice of polesters and replies and done the following:

Yanked the UGF - the nastiest mess I could imagine - I had TWO 301 powerheads on this 29-gallon tank UGF and after nine months of use since a total teardown, there was a revolting amount of waste trapped beneath the plates!!! I had to allow the mess to settle then vacuum 10-gallons of water/mess out of the gravel and then repeat the process several days later to get the tank clean. I regularly vacuum my gravel and it still didnt matter... IF YOU HAVE A UGF - REMOVE IT - after you see what is under it, you'll never go back!

I reinstalled one 301 powerhead with a sponge filter directly on the bottom of it. I mounted it on a suction cup mount about halfway down in the tank on the back wall in a corner, pointed torward the middle surface. This seems to create a current the fish like and adds a little bit of bubbles. (even though my LFS told me I can't increase my D.O. this way...???)

I procured a gallon jug full of drinking water grade virgin carbon from a job contact for free!!! and proceded to buy a 3" x 8" bag and fill it to the point where it would still fit my aquaclear 150 HOB filter with a sponge and bio max (ceramic pellets) pack in there also. I was able to use quite a bit more carbon this way than what they give you in the pre made packs from aquaclear.

After my most recent cleaning and dosing with biozyme, I got this setup above running with about 10 new plastic plants from lkcharly on Ebay (nice, cheap ceramic base plants) and a big plastic piece of simulated driftwood.

All in all the tank looks much better and the water is CLEAR, I mean very clear. I love it! Thanks to all who responded!!!

Next project is to find a CHEAP way to add another N.O. bulb to my single tube (all-glass) light fixture for a brighter display! Any ideas?? Thanks again!

jeffs99dime
01-03-2007, 07:23 PM
get a retrofit kit, build you own lighting fixture, or buy a striplight that holds two h.o's

mixin
01-04-2007, 01:48 PM
get a retrofit kit, build you own lighting fixture, or buy a striplight that holds two h.o's
Thanks for the reply about the lights...I have a all-glass versa top on the way, then I might build a canopy with lights in it for my 29-gallon setup. (Since I want a canopy anyway). Alternately, there is a 30" 55-watt PC fixture that I might be able to aquire for a good deal. Would that be too much for my FW fish only tank? Also I love my Kribs too, I have a pair, but don't know if they are male or female - have to look into it. Thanks!!

jeffs99dime
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply about the lights...I have a all-glass versa top on the way, then I might build a canopy with lights in it for my 29-gallon setup. (Since I want a canopy anyway). Alternately, there is a 30" 55-watt PC fixture that I might be able to aquire for a good deal. Would that be too much for my FW fish only tank? Also I love my Kribs too, I have a pair, but don't know if they are male or female - have to look into it. Thanks!!

no. i'm running 265 watts on my 55g. (h.o compact florescents-2 10000k daylights, 2 true 03 actinic bulbs, and 4, 1 watt blue l.e.d's i hardwired in my self. if you post a pic of your kribs, i'll be able to tell you if they're male or female or both. is your tank live-planted? if it is, more than likely you won't have enough wattage depending upon the plant types kept.--jeff