PDA

View Full Version : Best substrate to use for planted tannks ????

zeone03
10-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Can anyone recommend a good substrate to use for a planted tank. I was gonna use Flourite but I seen a lot of people on another forum say that it clouds the water pretty easy if it is disturbed by fish or planting plants.

Anyone have any thoughts on Flourite or other substrate to use.

Thanks

turbomkt
10-18-2006, 04:31 AM
Flourite when rinsed works quite well. In fact, most substrates will need to be rinsed or they will potentially cloud the water.

Eco-Complete has been pretty good and didn't need rinsing for me.

If you want cheaper than just about anything, but still asthetically pleasing...find Turface Pro or Soilmaster Select in red or charcoal colors. $15 or so for a 50lbs bag that is about perfect for a 75g tank. It WILL need rinsing.

zeone03
10-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I will probably use Flourite or Eco-Complete. Those are the 2 I see the most that are recommended.

I know the substrate will need to be rinsed. I've just seen a lot of people say that the Flourite will cloud the water A LOT if it is disturbed at all even after the tank has been set up for a while, like when planting new plants.

If I go with the Flourite I may just use some Flourite mixed with gravel on the bottom and a layer of gravel only on top of that to help with the cloudyness.

turbomkt
10-19-2006, 05:47 AM
I will probably use Flourite or Eco-Complete. Those are the 2 I see the most that are recommended.

I know the substrate will need to be rinsed. I've just seen a lot of people say that the Flourite will cloud the water A LOT if it is disturbed at all even after the tank has been set up for a while, like when planting new plants.

If I go with the Flourite I may just use some Flourite mixed with gravel on the bottom and a layer of gravel only on top of that to help with the cloudyness.
It's really not that bad. It seems like forever to rinse, but in the end it will cloud things a little but will clear quickly.

My Flourite tanks have been fine for quite a while. One of them is a mix of Flourite and Soilmaster Select (Red). It's a nice way to get the benefits of Flourite (At least a little iron) but the cost of Soilmaster.