PDA

View Full Version : Need info on breeding?

Ryuu
03-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Ok so I would like to breed guppies, yeah, I really dont know the first thing about breeding so ill tell you what I do know.

A baby fish is called a fry, they eat special liquid food, some fish have live births and others through eggs, baby fry need to be removed from any other fish when born, for guppies the gestation period is around 28 days? and a female guppy has babys every 2.5 weeks?

For the new fry I set up a 2.5 gallon tank from the aquarium water I used in my original tank, I am only keeping the pretty males and Females the rest I will sell or bring them back to the fish store. Is there any additonal information I need to know?

mitcore
03-16-2008, 01:22 AM
ok lots of hiding spots for the fry, and they will eat crushed flake and slim, guppies being livebearers breed whenever they like and will increase in numbers fairly quickly

it is good to have 1 male to 2 females, the males will fight if they arent enough females

other then that
not much else to say except enjoy the fry

Arkie
03-16-2008, 03:30 AM
every thing mitcore said and remember to keep the fry tank clean and remove any uneaten food to avoid pollution in the tank. and keep up regular water changes. :19:
good luck

Wild Turkey
03-24-2008, 04:53 AM
every thing mitcore said and remember to keep the fry tank clean and remove any uneaten food to avoid pollution in the tank. and keep up regular water changes. :19:
good luck

Snails can aid in this in fry tanks cuz its gets messy in fry tanks. Make sure u dont add snails to a breeder tank for egg scatterers though. at least not before eggs hatch as they will eat eggs, just not fry. They are not picky about how old food is and can get into many nooks and crannies. Do ur research on the type of snail you buy as some can reproduce quickly.

country_boy454
03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Another good thing for fry tanks are sponge filters. Always make sure you have at least 2x the amount of females to males. Otherwise you will end up with only males. If you want a greater amount of the fry to live then I would separate the parents from the fry. In no time your population will have doubled. They are very prolific little fish. Good luck.

Wild Turkey
03-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes never use power filters if you dont already know, your fry will get sucked up and spit out. (you hope)

Ryuu
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Wow thanks guys, the fry still havetn been born but I will be lookign for snails lol ty all

Minderella83
04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
what kind of snails are best to use in fish tanks?