PDA

View Full Version : What do to with my new Amazon sword plant

LosC
03-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Got myself a new lighting fixture today. 24" Life-Glo2 bulb, 6700k, 20w. I bougt my first plant, it's a tall Amazon sword. I picked this one out because it seemed to have white long roots, moreso than the others. How do I plant it? Where should I plant it?

Here's a pic of my tank. I removed the center fake plants and I'm thinking about removing the cave to make room for more plants.

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 08:11 PM
i would suggest somewhere along the back maybe a corner?keep your cave fish like to hide,:19:

gm72
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Well if you are myself or Lady Hobbs, you would kiss it goodbye as neither of us have particular luck with swords. :11:

But in the meantime, agreed with a back corner.

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 08:14 PM
i have no luck myself but thanks to reading threads about plants im learning!!!:11:

LosC
03-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Ok so along the back or a corner. MY fish use the cave but it's really big (takes up the whole left side almost), fake and doesn't match with the other stuff and colors in my tank. I was thinkin of making a smaller cave with rocks or some other material I see around that appears to be flat and thin (like drywall but rock material).

Adrian
03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
amazon swords can get big. I mean really big. I have 2 that are around 24 inches tall.

You could use it as a center piece, or place it toward the rear of the tank, as suggested. Generally, the taller the plant, the further away it should be, adds depth to the tank.

Just take a look at my swords in my blog. I have mine at opposite sides of my tank.

LosC
03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Well if you are myself or Lady Hobbs, you would kiss it goodbye as neither of us have particular luck with swords. :11:

But in the meantime, agreed with a back corner.

I thought swords are beginner plants.

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
so did i!!! so i got some they didn't last long:14: good idea for a smaller cave,

LosC
03-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Dam, so odds are I'm gonna lose mine. Should I get fert tabs or something?

Lady Hobbs
03-15-2008, 08:26 PM
This is my favorite bestest site.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/index.htm

It tells about lots of plants but tons about everything else, as well. Has a good write up about swords so check it out.

Swords need lots of iron so I would suggest iron tabs at the roots and in the water.

GM is correct. I have had crappy luck with swords but dosing differently now so we'll see.

Adrian
03-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Dam, so odds are I'm gonna lose mine. Should I get fert tabs or something?

Medium to high light, rich substrate, I mean Iron rich substrate, and co2. That has given me wonderful growth with mine. Maybe too much growth, as they are above the water line now.....:(

jbeining75
03-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm using 1 wpg light 6700k plant bulbs with a fert spike by the swords root system and flourapride and mine are fine after a week. I have two in the back right corner of my 55 gallon with my texas cichlids and gt......

Algenco
03-15-2008, 09:38 PM
cut off about 1/3 of the roots (tips) before planting, that will encourage new growth it will adapt quicker

LosC
03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Can anyone recommend some fert tabs that are good for amazon swords?

nanaglen2001
03-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I cant recommend any ferts, but I would advice to put mor substrate into yout tank, so the roots have something to cling to. For a medium sized Sword plant, you need at least 7 cm gravel or sand as substrate.

smaug
03-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey carlos,first off trim those long white roots back to about an inch and a half before you plant it,remove all damaged leaves with a sharp pair of scissors,check it out thouroughly for snail spawn or any balck algae.I always dip my new plants in a very weak bleach solution to kill the above things,not the roots though.With your fingers dig a hole in your sub,plant it to a depth just below were the leaves start,after its in there gently lift the plant up till; you can just see the top of the roots,make sure that it stays that way throughout its life,if not the leaves that have there bases covered will rot and fall off.A good fert for them is flourish tabs stuck 1 each right at there roots..When you see a damged leaf remove it,swords flourish with attention.

LosC
03-16-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm gonna need more gravel and the fluorish tabs. Thanks

angelcakes
03-16-2008, 09:39 AM
good luck with the sword:19:

kitten3326
03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
That is a great website hobbs, I found alot of useful information there, thanks:)

Lady Hobbs
03-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Kitten. I love that website.

Hey everyone, regarding the swords........the site I gave to Carlos says to also trim off all the roots that are brown plus trim back the new white roots. Do you do this?

Carlos, swords can not be planted too deep, either. Leave the base of the plant a bit above ground.

LosC
03-16-2008, 07:43 PM
That is a great website, I'll be referring to it regularly.
Ok, I had a hell of a time trying to get my plant to stay planted in the gravel. They way it looks right now its planted but some of the roots are sticking out. I had to put a rock on one side of the gravel where the roots were under, this kept it in place. How long before the roots start to attach to something? Do I have to go back after awhile and pull the plant to snip some more roots?

Algenco
03-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I dig a hole, place the sword and cover, I've had to add extra sand to get good coverage. You shouldn't have to bother it again

JPAUDIO
04-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Everybody my Sword is doing good it has a shoot travelling half way accross the tank traveling towards my light... What should i do with this shoot?