PDA

View Full Version : Shovelnose Catfish Feeding Problems

ropefishman
03-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I just recently got a shovelnose catfish I knew before I got it that I couldn't feed it regular fish flakes. So, instead I got it some feeder goppies and gost shrimp to start off with they are gone now and I know you can't keep them on a solid diet of live food or they will die. Now I'm attempting to feed it frozen krill. Thats where the problem comes in I have a masive four line catfish and an african frog that eat all the food before he gets a chance. Before he ate regular food but he found out this stuff tastes better so he eats it as soon as it hits the bottom.

I don't know if this is important or not but my tank is a 45 gallon the shovelnose is 4 in. long and the four line is about 9 in. longe. The african frog is biger than a quater but smaller than a silver dollar and has a huge appitite. Is there any way to get around this problem or maybe a different food.

I was thinking a diet of gost shimp cause I found nothing that says you can't but I'm a very young teenager and even though I pay for every thing myself I just don't have that kind of money because thay are realy expensive where I live.

Any ideas will be greatly apriciated.

Drumachine09
03-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Sinking Carnivore Pellets.

You ARE aware that you will NEVER be able to house your shovelnose in that small of a tank for long, right?

I sure hope you have a 2000 gallon tank in the works.

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
same as above,you might want to see if this link helps

http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/fresh/tigershovelnose.htm

cocoa_pleco
03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
get him hikari sinking carnivore pellets.

they get 5ft long, that 45g is way to small for him, youre gonna need at least a 300g as a growout, 1000g fullgrown

ropefishman
03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I got it from elmers it's a lima shovelnose not a tiger I did want one till I discovered they grow to be almost as tall as me. So I got the Lima instead they get to be between 15 and 24 in. and yes there will be a 275gallon for him in the near future it will be six feet long for a 2 foot fish. Thats big enough right?

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
this link will definatley help its about lima, lol i just noticed its from the shop you brought it from lol

http://elmersaquarium.com/10cat_shovelnose.htm

ropefishman
03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
yeah, I just checked that exact site you guys got me scared for a second and I just wanted to doble check. Those tigers are realy cool I watch u-tube vids of them all the time they are huge.

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
i love the red tailed catfish :1luvu: big!!!!!! but not suited for an aquarium :(

ropefishman
03-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the help I will definatly try the sinking pelets.

cocoa_pleco
03-15-2008, 05:54 PM
yep, a 250g will be good for him

toddnbecka
03-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Umm, who told you that live food isn't a healthy diet? In the wild, there's no one standing around tossing flakes or pellets into the rivers to feed the fish. Lima shovelnose are ambush predators. They lie in wait until a small fish comes close, then move more quickly than you would think possible to grab it. Granted, live food can be an expensive hassle, and the more often you add any new fish (though feeders tend to be worse) there's a chance of bringing in disease as well.

Billythefish
03-16-2008, 12:45 AM
I give my walking catfish choped up garden worms and he loves them and you can use a pointed stick with the worm on the end your fish will snap it up! And thay are free

angelcakes
03-16-2008, 10:11 AM
i do that but wash them first:19: