PDA

View Full Version : plant food

melbfish20
03-15-2008, 10:19 AM
saw some in the shop today.It was in bottle(it said plant food on it) like you would by medicine in.I had no idea there was such a thing ,is it normal to feed your plant ? is it required ?

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 10:34 AM
yes its normal to feed your plants,plants need some iron and other nutrients,some sugests ferts if there needed,:19:

melbfish20
03-15-2008, 10:38 AM
yes its normal to feed your plants,plants need some iron and other nutrients,some sugests ferts if there needed,:19:

ok, i haven't done it once since i gotmy tank for 4 months ago, i am lucky they are still alive I guess

angelcakes
03-15-2008, 10:41 AM
its not always nessacery to feed your plants because some get there nutrients from the tank,some thrive on nitrites or nitrates cant remember which!!

gm72
03-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Plants need nitrAtes as a food source. As far as ferts go, they may not be needed depending upon how heavily planted the tank is, how much light the plants receive, and the type of plants.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-15-2008, 11:56 AM
What the plants need is in fact nitrogen. In an aquarium, there are only 2 sources of nitrogen that plants can use; ammonia, and nitrate. Your plants do have certain mineral requirements, but these are things that are generally found in your water already and the nitrogen is provided by fish waste. If you only have a single plant in you tank and you have a few fish then you don't need to be adding any fertilizers. If you were to add a lot more plants then it's something you would need to worry about.

gm72
03-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Great clarification about the nitrogen, thank you!