PDA

View Full Version : ivory snails

Enreche
03-14-2008, 05:36 PM
i useually put all my feeders in my puffer fish tank so he can eat away, but when i purcahed his food the other day, one of the snails (that are useually yellow) was pearl white. i instanty feel in love with the cutie, and i spared him from my manacing puffer (bum bumb buuum)

i put him in my live bearer tank, and i went to the store the next day and got 3 more little pearlys. i want these guys to reproduce, but i heard in another thread that these guys produce real slow..

is this true? because it would be nice to have feeders on hand for my puffer, because my LSF sells little snails for 35 cents each..i know they reproduce like rabbits, so i don't see why they would charge so much..

but anyway, any tips to hget them to lay eegs? i usually put a half of an alge tablet in there, and they eat that like crazY.

Thanks!
-Enreche:c5:

angelcakes
03-14-2008, 07:04 PM
have you any pics? ive no idea about getting snails to lay eggs.:19:

Enreche
03-14-2008, 07:20 PM
haha, no..my batterys died on my camera :P

but pic's will eventually show up :D

Adrian
03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Ivory snails are like the gold mystery snails. You have to have a male and a female. Once they mate, the female will seek a place out of water to lay her eggs. Usually 1 or 2 inches above the waterline. There will be a mass of pinkish colored eggs.

If you have too many, just scrape the eggs off, and discard. Or cavier for other fish.

Thing is, they grow slowly. So I would house them with a peaceful tank if you want more of them. Always keep a pair.

Pond snails on the other hand, are assexual. Breed at will, and lay billions of eggs everywhere. Before long, as Lady Hobbs can attest to, you will have snails in every part of your aquarium.

I use to keep some snails in my HOB to help keep it clean. Worked nicely. :hmm3grin2orange:

Hope that helps yah.

Enreche
03-15-2008, 06:45 AM
that dose!

i actually noticed little baby snails in my tank today, they are like tiny clear blobs with a large brownish back.. idk where those come from XD

i have 4 of them, so i expect there to be at least 1 male/and or 1 female.

whoo hoo, free puffer food. :D

Enreche
03-15-2008, 06:45 AM
that dose!

i actually noticed little baby snails in my tank today, they are like tiny clear blobs with a large brownish back.. idk where those come from XD

i have 4 of them, so i expect there to be at least 1 male/and or 1 female.

whoo hoo, free puffer food. :D