PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on crabs

cblegue
03-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site and I was looking for information on crabs because I got myself a crab to add in my tank and well ive had him for about 2 weeks and this morning I got up and noticed he lost a claw ??? Is this normal? If yes what is there to do about it??

sailor
03-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi and welcome to a great forum and community:19:

What type of crab do you have?

Nautilus291
03-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Welcome to the forum! I dont know much about crabs but Im sure someone will be able to help you.

Asphenaz
03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome to the forum, do you have other inhabitants in the tank?

aquarius56
03-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the forum :19: :22: I'm sorry about your crab. I really don't know much about them but I wouldn't think loosing an appendage is a good sign. On a happier note he doesn't have to worry about predators. He might do just fine with one claw. I'm sure there's lots of people on here who know a great deal more about crustaceans and if you post your question in the right area you'll get alot more knowledgable, helpful responses. Good Luck!

country_boy454
03-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Welcome to the forum!

siymdapolio
03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the AQ!!
Sorry to hear about your crab thats no good!
you can post a new thread in the vertebrate section under the subforum crabs. I do not know much about crabs but you should get some good responses from there.

Enjoy the forum dont be afraid to look around!

Billythefish
03-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Go see a doctor! Lol. All i no about crabs is thay escape if your water is to hi and the one i had loved peas and hid all the time!

siymdapolio
03-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Go see a doctor! Lol. All i no about crabs is thay escape if your water is to hi and the one i had loved peas and hid all the time!
Thats awesome! I want a crab

squirt_12
03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forum!

First of all...what kind of crab is it??

Most crabs will eventually regrow their claw back. They will molt a couple of times and the claw should have slowly regrew itself.
My fiddler crab got its claw cut off by the other male about 1-2 weeks ago and I am now starting to see a little claw starting to appear.
It will be a fairly slow process but the claw will come back.

jbeining75
03-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Welcome to AC!!!!!!

sandy_n
03-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi and welcome to our great community! :1:

Darkstar824
03-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Welcome to the forum!

First of all...what kind of crab is it??

Most crabs will eventually regrow their claw back. They will molt a couple of times and the claw should have slowly regrew itself.
My fiddler crab got its claw cut off by the other male about 1-2 weeks ago and I am now starting to see a little claw starting to appear.
It will be a fairly slow process but the claw will come back.

it is the same with land hermit crabs they molt alot it is normal, the claw will regrow back slowly. I guess they are shedding parts of themselves they no longer want! lol! okay, sorry had to say that!!:hmm3grin2orange: welcome and good luck with your crab!!

Drumachine09
03-18-2008, 03:00 AM
I moved this to the "Crabs" section. In the future, try to post in the correct forums. It saves us mods a lot of work.

Thanks
~Drum