PDA

View Full Version : Reef calcium additive safe for freshwater?

richberstler
03-14-2008, 01:25 AM
I know snails have a bad name so I think my latest question in my snail thread will be largely ignored. So I'm tricking a few people into listening :14:

My snails lack calcium in my 20 high, I have read of liquid substitutes.

My question is: I bought Seachem's iodized calcium additive, but have also since read Kent's version works. Will either of these be harmful to my freshwater tank? They are both labeled as "Reef" additives, but neither specifically says not for use in freshwater.

Might one be better than the other?

Just looking for some input before adding anything. Thank you!!

(prevoius problem thread)
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=18544

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-14-2008, 01:29 AM
I've used it before but you would be better off using a small amount of crushed coral in your filter. You don't need much but just enough to provide some calcium in the water for the snails. If you do use the liquid calcium additive you do need to only use a couple of drops. It is very concentrated and can be harmful if dosed too heavily.

richberstler
03-14-2008, 01:41 AM
I thought I read to add a little extra, just don't add on top of any fish (so I'll add to the filter)

I didn't like the coral or other similar suggestions because it messes with PH....

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-14-2008, 01:42 AM
With just a small amount it won't effect the pH.

Drumachine09
03-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Do you have an old nylon sock? That would be great to put some in and leave it in the bottom of the filter.

Also, I am ahead of you in SD on Lords :27:

richberstler
03-14-2008, 05:05 AM
So the stuff I already have is not good?