PDA

View Full Version : Using exisiting jacuzzi pump for filter.

Adrian
03-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I am planning on using my existing jacuzzi pump for filtration. Now before everyone gets the wrong idea. Let me tell you a little bit about it first.

It is like an oversized canister filter. It has a stainless steel cover over a paper like filter on the inside. Water gets sucked down thru the plumbing, where as there is a plastic intake with a screen on it. Goes thru the rest of the plumbing, into a 1 horsepower motor, with an impeller of sorts, then thru the paper/cloth filter, then back to the jacuzzi thru the jets. I can control aeration thru a valve on the jacuzzi to add more air, or less air.

I think that if I use a new filter element, and remove all existing clorine/chloramine, I should be able to successful establish the necessary bacteria on the filter element.

What do you all think???

goleafs
03-14-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't know it seems kind of a sketchy thing to do but I can't think of what you could use otherwise. You could try it and see how it goes maybe. Do you know the GPH rating?

Adrian
03-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Well, since my jacuzzi holds about 1400 gallons of water, and the pump is 1 horsepower, I would imagine it pumps quite a bit of water.

Just wondering if it will work.

squirt_12
03-14-2008, 01:29 AM
You wouldn't beable to have all the jets on though would you?? Would you like turn some off or something??

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-14-2008, 01:36 AM
I would think that would create way too much flow in there. I would try to cut off some of those jets.

Adrian
03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
The jets aren't that powerful. They move water quite nicely though...but considering how much water my AC70 moves in my 37 gallon tank, it would be similar.

I have to find an aquatic store that sells potted plants. I mean pond sized potted plants. That will be the hard part.

If the plants get blown around too much, then I will block off some of the jets, so that it just moves the water without to much disturbance.

hockeyref88
03-14-2008, 03:22 AM
You need to do way more research, like talking to people knowlegable about ponds. Everything I have heard about trying to use a jacuzzi for a pond with fish is its not a good Idea. Heres a website that I belong too that could answer all of your questions http://www.gardenpondforum.com/index.php hope it helps.

Adrian
03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
You need to do way more research, like talking to people knowlegable about ponds. Everything I have heard about trying to use a jacuzzi for a pond with fish is its not a good Idea. Heres a website that I belong too that could answer all of your questions http://www.gardenpondforum.com/index.php hope it helps.

Thanks, I will indeed look into it.