PDA

View Full Version : My newest baby

Adrian
03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I have purchased a few tiger lotus bulbs. Most of them are still in their dormancy stage.

This one, however, I did not purchase. Didn't even know it was in my tank until a few days ago. All this growth from a bulb the size of a pea, in approximately 3 days.

I am impressed! Just thought I would show off my little baby!

Rue
03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Very cute!:1luvu:

I bought an anubias (sp?) yesterday...haven't planted it yet...but it's got such nice leaves!

angelcakes
03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
sweet............:19:

Adrian
03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks! I was really surprised to find it in the tank. I was like, what's this? Then waited to see what happened, and when it started to grow like this, I was thrilled!

Incredulous_Ed
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Pretty cool!

smaug
03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
very nice,it looks like a dwarf lily from the walmart packs.I have never gotten one of them to sprout.

squirt_12
03-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Very nice! My tiger lotus wont grow for me. It has split (or whatever you call it) and has made 3 bulbs from the one big one.

Adrian
03-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Very nice! My tiger lotus wont grow for me. It has split (or whatever you call it) and has made 3 bulbs from the one big one.

I have heard tale, not confirmed, that if you take the bulb out, and store it in a cool dry place for a month, and then return it to the tank, it would make the bulb more active.

I have not confirmed this, and I do not know if it will work. I know that the tiger lotus has a dormancy period, and does not like to be moved around.

squirt_12
03-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I have heard tale, not confirmed, that if you take the bulb out, and store it in a cool dry place for a month, and then return it to the tank, it would make the bulb more active.

I have not confirmed this, and I do not know if it will work. I know that the tiger lotus has a dormancy period, and does not like to be moved around.
mine has been station for quite some time...the stuborn thing just wont grow. I will leave it and see what happens. Thanks.

Your lotus is amazing. Very nice! :thumb:

Adrian
03-14-2008, 01:22 AM
It can take up to 3 months for the lotus to un-hibernate, so to speak. Don't give up, as they are a very rewarding plant when they do begin to grow.

I am just surprised that it sprang up. Didn't even know it was in there. :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Taking off in a hurry.

jbeining75
03-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Very nice... Hope they work great in the tank!!!!

Adrian
03-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Yes, it is, and I am very happy with it. I just have to wait til it fills out more. I understand that once it gets one leaf to the surface, it "learns" where the surface is and no longer produces underwater leaves, but just streamers to reach the surface.

Since I want some leaves in water, I have to trim back the streamers heading to the surface until I get enough of a bush to allow it to go topside. The ultimate in top water plants then.