PDA

View Full Version : Word of advice...

NickFish
03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
If you ever hear strange clicking and scraping noises coming from inside a hole in your live rock....do not, under any circumstances stick your finger in said hole.

Mantis shrimp bites HURT!

angelcakes
03-13-2008, 07:36 PM
ouch..........not got one but it sounds nasty :22:

Tooch
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
LOL isn't it like a rule of thumb not to reach into dark holes with strange noises coming from them? :hmm3grin2orange:

Adrian
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
LOL isn't it like a rule of thumb not to reach into dark holes with strange noises coming from them? :hmm3grin2orange:

That's pretty funny, and very true!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I take it you found out the hard way Nick?

NickFish
03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
NOW you tell me!!
LOL! :wink2:

This is another lesson to me....clean your live rock better!!

cocoa_pleco
03-13-2008, 07:52 PM
live rock hurts at times, i remember once i was moving some rock and a bristleworm got me good, i got hundreds of spines in my finger

the vinegar thing is PURE BS, none dissolved with vinegar. eventually i ended up taking a pocket knife and cutting off a small piece of my finger, that was after 3 days of annoying suffering

Tooch
03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
LOL This should be common knowledge to anyone who's seen a Looney Toons cartoon :ezpi_wink1:

Rue
03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
If you ever hear strange clicking and scraping noises coming from inside a hole in your live rock....do not, under any circumstances stick your finger in said hole.

Mantis shrimp bites HURT!

I'm not laughing...not at all...in fact, I feel your pain...:wink2:

Nautilus291
03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Next time use a stick lol.

shalafi04
03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
OMG! hahahahaha That really sucks! But its still funny... hope the finger is feeling okay! :)

spudbuds
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
You're lucky you still have your finger. Depending on the species, it could have cut it right off. Did you at least get him out?

Tolley
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
argh i've heard of those arent they nicknamed 'thumb splitters' LOL

cocoa_pleco
03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
lol, thats why i use one of those grabbing claws for saltwater now

NickFish
03-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Ya he's gone now, after a long fight with my net. I lured him out with a anchovie I found in my fridge.
I called the lfs to see if they wanted him, not to my surprise they refused my offer, with a few chuckles. So I had to euthanize him, not a very sad moment for me.

I got a question now, after I was bit I sorta left my finger in the water for a couple seconds wondering what the h*ll just happened, he had cut off part of my fingernail, and I figure I lost about 5mL of blood in the water. Not a lot but will this mess anything up? Should I wait a bit before I put any fish in there? I was planning on putting some hermit crabs in this weekend, and a pair of ocellaris in a month, should I do anything? I'm getting some water ready for a water change but it won't be ready till tomorrow, until freshwater where you can just throw water in the tank whenever you want lol *sigh*.

Well, I'm ok, a little annoying while I'm typing, but like many of you said...I'm lucky to have my finger!

Tigerbarb
03-13-2008, 11:37 PM
I take it this happened to you? lol. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Levi
03-13-2008, 11:41 PM
you should have kept him

NickFish
03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
you should have kept him
If I see another one I'll send him your way! lol!
He was about 5" long, but they can get bigger. I've heard of them being kept in species tanks, or by themselves. Give them SW feeder fish and some beef heart, and you'll have a very interesting pet.

squirt_12
03-14-2008, 12:09 AM
OUCH! That must have hurt alot Nick. I feel your pain. A couple of days ago I was watching some videos on youtube about them and one just destroyed a crab. Cracked it right open. You don't want one of these in a glass tank. They could break the glass.
I think that it would be actually cool to have one of these in a tank. They need a really deep sand bed though as they dig a straight hole down into the sand and live in it and use it to launch out really fast at their pray. Cool little inverts.....but nasty. lol.
Hope your alright Nick!

coachfraley
03-14-2008, 12:41 AM
They are actually getting quite popular. They had one at a fish store in Pasadena that was at LEAST 8". Somebody ended up buying it too!

In some parts of the world people eat them. I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods, where the guy ate one the size of of lobster. I think he called it a mantis prawn. It actually looked pretty tasty.

Algenco
03-14-2008, 12:45 AM
your lucky, they are capable of breaking bones. A mantis shrimp can bust a clam with 1 strike

squirt_12
03-14-2008, 12:49 AM
your lucky, they are capable of breaking bones. A mantis shrimp can bust a clam with 1 strike
Yeah I saw a video on youtube where one was doing that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mu6yrC6bjNo

NOTE: Mantis shrimp is hitting a live crab. Just a warning. You don't have to watch.

EDIT- another. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKprYcny_E

the ones in the videos are Peacock Mantis Shrimp.

cocoa_pleco
03-14-2008, 12:51 AM
man, i dont know what i was thinking earlier, now i remember what those guys are

be extremely careful around them, they can break your arm. try to trap him, or get a acrylic sump to put him in. unleashed has one but he hasnt been on in forever

squirt_12
03-14-2008, 12:53 AM
man, i dont know what i was thinking earlier, now i remember what those guys are

be extremely careful around them, they can break your arm. try to trap him, or get a acrylic sump to put him in. unleashed has one but he hasnt been on in forever
acrylic for sure. They will break glass. They are amazing strong ceatures.

unleashed
03-14-2008, 01:59 AM
They are actually getting quite popular. They had one at a fish store in Pasadena that was at LEAST 8". Somebody ended up buying it too!

In some parts of the world people eat them. I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods, where the guy ate one the size of of lobster. I think he called it a mantis prawn. It actually looked pretty tasty.

they actually taste very nice. I had a few in thailand

jbeining75
03-14-2008, 02:03 AM
mantis shrimp are beasts they will beat you up nick lol... You're lucky he just tagged ya once and didn't nail you so bad. Hope you are okay though.....

spudbuds
03-14-2008, 05:27 AM
I think the blood in the water shouldn't hurt anything. At least I hope not. I've shed a few drops in my tank recently. Handling rock with bare hands for multiple hours while it's submerged in water is a really bad idea (I like to point out the obvious). It's not nearly as bad an idea as trying to thumb wrestle a mantis, but it's still not advised.

Levi
03-14-2008, 06:46 AM
If I see another one I'll send him your way! lol!
He was about 5" long, but they can get bigger. I've heard of them being kept in species tanks, or by themselves. Give them SW feeder fish and some beef heart, and you'll have a very interesting pet.

no way, i'm already getting mts as it is

jimpierce
03-16-2008, 06:28 AM
waaaaaaaaaait just a minute here!!! Nobody told me about ass kickin' SHRIMP!! When I started this sw tank stuff!!

I have four parrots and now I have to worry about stuff in my tank taking my finger off too? Aw crap.

Rue
03-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes indeedy! Parrots ain't got the market on biting!

However, they're not that bad, but you do have to be careful. I don't think they can break an arm, but they have broken fingers and caused serious injuries.

They're beautiful. Many people set up mantis-only tanks just for them.

They are also NOT a shrimp, even though they're called Mantis Shrimp.

jimpierce
03-16-2008, 04:50 PM
so kinda like feather worms aren't worms? What were the oceanographic people smoking on "name it" day?

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
yeah, i know, its weird. feather dusters are a creepy kind of shrimp, bala sharks (FW) arent actually sharks, etc

shockshockshad
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
featherdusters are SHRIMP? Geez, thats creepy. What did you have to put on that finger nick? Just a bandage? And if the mantises aren't shrimp, what are they?

Rue
03-16-2008, 07:41 PM
They're stomapods...and there are two kinds of them...spearers, that use their sharp, spear-like claw modifications to spear their prey (in the soft tissue) and smashers, which have a more club-like modification...

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2008, 07:51 PM
yep, thats pretty much it

they can break bones but theyre pretty

DragonGoby
03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Now that you say that... I'm pretty sur I don't want this thing in my tank... I've seen this video, I feel pity for the crabs... This thing is waiting... It looks smart enough... Are you sure it's not an alien or something like that?:hmm3grin2orange:...
Cocoa, why have you to cut out a piece of your finger???? I never know keeping a SW tank can be that dangerous....

cocoa_pleco
03-17-2008, 08:52 PM
i had to cut it because the spines were really deep, now i use those plastic claw grabbers to handle live rock

NickFish
03-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I just put some disinfectant and a bandage on.

Mantis shrimp are very nice now that you bring it up! I'm considering starting up a 15 gallon high for one, if I am ever to run into another in my tank. You can give them 10" of sand bed, and some feeder guppies and feeder shrimp. They are actually pretty cool when in a tank by themselves, I've seen videos, they walk around and then bury themselves in the sand.....waiting and watching for some unlucky shrimp or pellet to float by...and nice colors too!

Tooch
03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
They're stomapods...and there are two kinds of them...spearers, that use their sharp, spear-like claw modifications to spear their prey (in the soft tissue) and smashers, which have a more club-like modification...

LOL sounds like a toy!

I always wanted a Destructacon when I was a kid!

EDIT: Wow.. I just watched a couple of the videos... Freaky!

Tooch
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
WAIT wait wait wait wait...

Are you telling me that you had a 5" Mantis Shrimp in your tank? That was a hitchhiker? That you didn't know about?? Holy crap... No more sticking my hands in my tank!

cocoa_pleco
03-18-2008, 09:43 PM
ive seen a guy get a octupus as a hitchhiker in his LR

the best thing ive ever gotten is a starfish as a hitchhiker, thats it

squirt_12
03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
ive seen a guy get a octupus as a hitchhiker in his LR

the best thing ive ever gotten is a starfish as a hitchhiker, thats it
an octupus??? Thats awesome. Do you know if they kept it or not??

cocoa_pleco
03-18-2008, 10:25 PM
i had one for a bit, theyre cool but live only 2-3 months in aquariums

last i heard is he kept it

squirt_12
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
i had one for a bit, theyre cool but live only 2-3 months in aquariums

last i heard is he kept it
really?? How come that don't live very long?? That is weird. I would have figured that they would live fairly long.

Nick...that would be cool if you did set up a 15g (would be better if it was a long though....give the mantis shrimp more space to swim when it wants to) mantis shrimp tank.

cocoa_pleco
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
i dunno why they dont live long, theyre cool

NickFish
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Cool article I found on mantis shrimp.
Turns out they have a kind of vision never seen before. Scroll down and read the whole thing, it's very intersting!

http://www.physorg.com/news125235022.html

Rue
03-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Octopi are shortlived to begin with, and it's hard to keep them properly in aquarium. They're often too big for most in-home tanks. They are very intelligent. They're escape artists - but usually if they escape they die, no place for them to head to in a house. They can't really be with anyother fish (they'll eat them) - so just not a good bet.

And to keep such an intelligent creature in sub-standard conditions, and shorten what is already a very short life...not nice.