PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Flourish Excel

Sasquatch
03-13-2008, 05:20 PM
What is your opinion on Flourish Excel as a carbon supplement?

I've also heard from a few people that they use it to "control algae". How does this work?

I have a 10g tank with a fair amount of lighting, I use micronutrient supplements, but don't have CO2. Would Excel be a replacement for CO2?

ATM I have Crypts, Java fern and Hygrophila polysperma, they are growing ok, but I'd like to eventually get denser plantings.

Thanks for any advice.

hpt84
03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Excel supply carbon to the water. It control algae by providing carbon to plant for photosynthesis, which the plant will suck up the nutrient in the water. Not recommended for vallisneria.

Algenco
03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Excel will kill algae when used as a spot treatment

smaug
03-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Absolutly the best stuff on the market.I have no idea how it kills algae or prevents it.I do know that I have a med/high light tank full of plants with the use of it.It did kill my mossballs though.For your tank this stuff would be just the ticket,much cheaper and a whole lot less hassle the co2.

Adrian
03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
What is your opinion on Flourish Excel as a carbon supplement?

I've also heard from a few people that they use it to "control algae". How does this work?

I have a 10g tank with a fair amount of lighting, I use micronutrient supplements, but don't have CO2. Would Excel be a replacement for CO2?

ATM I have Crypts, Java fern and Hygrophila polysperma, they are growing ok, but I'd like to eventually get denser plantings.

Thanks for any advice.

I have not personally used this product as of yet. I have eco-complete for a substrate, and before that, I used flourite. I have had great success with both, however, the flourite now in my sons tank is running "low" on its suppliments. I may need to fertalize, though reluctant to do so. I have heard both positive and negative on this fertalizer. Both my tank and my sons have co2, and are doing nicely. Sons tank has 20w flourescent bulb on a 20 gallon tank, and I have roughly 2 watts per gallon on my 37. I have crypts, ferns, and swords. I also use low light plants, and have had good success with them all. Even my tiger lotus is starting to flourish, which is unusual, as they need a LOT of light.

I guess if you have a really good substrate, meaning it's mature, I don't think that you will need to fertalize often. Especially seeing as you are not running co2 in your tank. Plants will still thrive. But to get the explosive lush green growth, 2 or more watts per gallon of light, a rich mature substrate, and co2, will give the best results.

smaug
03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Excel will kill algae when used as a spot treatment
It kills algae when used in double dosings as well,especially black brush.

hpt84
03-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I did not know that. How come though?

smaug
03-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I posted this as my experiance,I dont know why or how.I got the advise over on the The Planted Tank forum from quite a few who said the same thing.Mind you that nothing but bleach wipes out a serious BBA infestation.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Excel supply carbon to the water. It control algae by providing carbon to plant for photosynthesis, which the plant will suck up the nutrient in the water. Not recommended for vallisneria.

I'm planning on having a LOT of these plants. Haven't used the Excel yet but was wondering why it isn't good for the vals?

smaug
03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm planning on having a LOT of these plants. Haven't used the Excel yet but was wondering why it isn't good for the vals?
Hobbs says it melted hers,gm72 says he uses it with his.I dont know,I want some vals maybe Ill try it for myself.

Algenco
03-13-2008, 07:04 PM
It melted all my vals except the giants
Kill moss balls because they are actually algae.
For staghorn, hair, and bba, turn of all filters,powerheads,and airstones, use a syringe or pipette to apply the excel directly to the affected area, let stand for 5 min and turn the filters back on. May require several applications to kill the algae.

Sasquatch
03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
It melted all my vals except the giants
Kill moss balls because they are actually algae.
For staghorn, hair, and bba, turn of all filters,powerheads,and airstones, use a syringe or pipette to apply the excel directly to the affected area, let stand for 5 min and turn the filters back on. May require several applications to kill the algae.

I was wondering what you meant by spot treatment, I guess that's it ... good to know since I have some BBA in my tank.

To all of you , thanks for all the answers, I guess I'll have to find some. I plan of replacing my substrate, either with eco-complete or flourite, to stop the pH fluctuations in my tank.

I have yet to find an explanation, but the general concensus here, and elsewhere, was that the limestone is why my tanks pH is reacting opposite to what it should when I turn the aeration on.

Thanks again.

As for the Vals, I wonder if it's because they're monocots? Grasses sometimes react differently than other flowering plants to certain chemicals.

Sasquatch
03-16-2008, 01:43 PM
One more questions about Excel.

Does it supplement with nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium? We did the water tests today and both the NO3 and Phosphates took a big hit, like 1 and 0.1 ppm respectively. The plants are really soaking it up. :19:

If not, I'll pick up some liquid ferts at the LFS, maybe some tabs too ... might as well since I'm changing the substrate!

FYI, I ordered some Excel and Flourite at BigAls ... should be in next week.

gm72
03-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Just as a confirmation, I have been using excel at the recommended dosage in the tank that has the vals. No problems. They are doing very well.

smaug
03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
One more questions about Excel.

Does it supplement with nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium? We did the water tests today and both the NO3 and Phosphates took a big hit, like 1 and 0.1 ppm respectively. The plants are really soaking it up. :19:

If not, I'll pick up some liquid ferts at the LFS, maybe some tabs too ... might as well since I'm changing the substrate!

FYI, I ordered some Excel and Flourite at BigAls ... should be in next week.
no,it only provides the co2 and has iron reducing propertys that make iron more usable for plants.

Sasquatch
03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Cool, looks like I'll need to pickup some NPK ferts.

If I add solid ferts in the substrate, do I still need to fertilize with liquids?

Also, with the Java ferns, should I go for liquids vs tabs? Don't they absorb through the leaves only?

Sorry to be asking so many questions ... I'm kinda new to the whole plant thing.

Lady Hobbs
03-16-2008, 03:45 PM
From what is said on The Planted Tank, Excel will get rid of algae but it will take a good healthy dose of it. One guy wrote there that as he was dosing his tank, his daughter bumped his arm and 3 x the amount he planned to dose went into his tank and his algae was gone 3 days later. Others ust use a spray bottle and spray individual plants which is the way Algenco does it.

But, you have to keep in mind that Excel will kill Vals so if you have them in the tank, I wouldn't use it. But if not, using Excel in place of CO2 sounds like a great idea to me. Certainly more costly as the stuff is not cheap but much handier.

A340
03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
My CO2 systems doesn't work worth squat, so I've been supplementing the tank with Excel and it seems to work much better than those cheap Nutrafin or Red Sea CO2 systems. I also had quite a bit of blackbeard algae (especially right under the filter where the flow is high), Excel sure took care of that problem rather quickly.

xoolooxunny
03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
I worship excel. When properly dosed, this stuff is amazing. Also, it eliminates ph fluctuations due to injected co2.

Sasquatch
03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I worship excel. When properly dosed, this stuff is amazing. Also, it eliminates ph fluctuations due to injected co2.

That's what I wanted to hear!

Ever since I've stopped aerating during the day, my pH has been all over the place.

Hopefully this stuff will live up to it's reputation. I'm always cynical about "magic bullet" treatments, but if this stuff can supplement carbon, help with algae, regulate iron and control pH ... I'll be a very happy aquarist.