PDA

View Full Version : aquatic frogs?

decgoth
10-16-2006, 04:43 AM
My 9y/o wants aquatic frogs and wants to know if there's any kind of fish that can be put in with them that won't eat the frogs or the frogs won't eat the fish? i know NOTHING about frogs and she's been hounding me since we moved in for them.

kimmers318
10-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I have 2 african dwarf frogs in with my dwarf puffers and they are fairly easy to care for. I keep a small clay dish in one corner to drop their pellets and bloodworm into so they know where food is. They don't have real good vision so hunt by smell. I don't know for sure what fish they can/can't go with since I only researched pertaining to being dp tankmates...but I believe they are okay with most tanks. They jump alot at things since they can't see well so I would say probably not too good with slow fish, do a google search and you should be able to find out more. Just make sure you get african dwarf frogs, not african clawed frogs....those grow quite large and get aggressive.

Cory Lover
10-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Hello,

Way back when I had a African Dwarf Aquatic Frog in a little bowl with no heater nor filter. I live in canada and it can get pretty cold and he was fine without a heater! After that I got another one and they went into a 33 gallon with cichlids and other fish. Some of the cichlids picked one of them up in their mouth, but then just dropped it in another location!

They are the hardiest fish or frog I have ever kept. They live about five years.

Cory Lover

Severus
10-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Yea, dwarf frogs would be alright. Just a quick story about African clawed frogs. My brother used to have two in with a few danios and other fish.. the two frogs got along alright aside from a little aggression in the beginning, but eventually they killed off 4 of the 6 danios in a 29 gallon along with a larger candy platy. They can get pretty nasty. I never actually witnessed them get the fish but i found little Danio pieces floating around and there werent any dead ones in the filter or on the floor... the frogs were about 4 inches.

flgirl06
11-20-2006, 06:07 AM
I have 2 african dwarf frogs with 4 berry tetras and 3 albino barbs and they get along fine.
Don't put the frogs with any live bearers as they will eat the babies as that is what they was doing when I had them in with my guppys.

Paula

freshwaterfishlover
11-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I have 4 frogs in a 20 gallon tank. 2 African Dwarf and 2 African Clawed. I also have in the tank 4 Ghost shrimp and 2 Neon Tetras.

The Frogs did not eat the Ghost Shrimp, but twice ate 5 Neon tetras with in a week. Unless you have VERY VERY huge fish you do not need to worry about the Frogs being eaten. Now if you have small fish Neon size you do have to worry about the Frogs eating them.

The Frogs love hidding behing plants. Especially Anicharios Plants. Now your thinking all fish love to hide behind plants, but my Frogs could stay behind the Anicharios plants for hours without moving.

The Frogs will only eat Freeze dried food, like BloodWorms or Brime Shrimp. I tried Pellets and Shrimp Flakes and they never touched it.

My Frogs never ever fight.

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I don't know. 3 people were posting last night that their fish were dying and all three had frogs in their tanks. Seemed rather odd to me. I would definately have no danios, neons or other wee fish with them. And would read up to see that we get a type that will remain small. Some get giantic.

freshwaterfishlover
11-22-2006, 01:26 AM
What size are your Danios? Mine are like 3 inches long.

Neithan
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't know. 3 people were posting last night that their fish were dying and all three had frogs in their tanks. Seemed rather odd to me.

From what I've heard (never had frogs myself), frogs and fish should never be kept in the same tank. The reason for this being the frog feces, as it's much too strong and slowly poisons the fish. Or something like that.

Severus
12-09-2006, 06:05 PM
i would would think with ample filtration and maintenance that wouldnt be much of a problem...

Neithan
12-10-2006, 09:28 AM
From what I understood, the filtration would have to be strong enough to make a small storm in the tank. I don't know many fish that thrive in that, apart from some catfish found in fast moving rivers =P

I'm unsure of the spelling here, but wouldn't a paludarium be a better idea for frogs? One that has been well thought out and kept is a lovely thing to look at, not to mention the frogs would get more of a natural environment with some "real" groundspace, instead of a floating piece of bark or whatever one tends to use in fishtanks. Your own piece of tropical jungle in the living room.... :41:

Neithan
12-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I stumbled on this website, that anyone thinking of mixing frogs, newts etc with fish or anything else should read.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

Fishguy2727
12-15-2006, 08:06 PM
If you want you can stick that link in the link forum for others to read in the future when this thread isn't so close to the top.

I didn't read it, let me guess, "Fish and amphibians and such should not be mixed...."

jeffs99dime
12-15-2006, 08:11 PM
If you want you can stick that link in the link forum for others to read in the future when this thread isn't so close to the top.

I didn't read it, let me guess, "Fish and amphibians and such should not be mixed...."

i also agree with this statement

Neithan
12-16-2006, 01:02 AM

Basically a list of questions on what to do when a frog or a newt choked on a cory, or a newt was missing legs etc. It's not just fish and amphibians that don't go well together, it's amphibians with other amphibians as well..

Fishguy2727
12-16-2006, 04:30 AM
I think every setup is different, but safer is safer.

hastatus
12-22-2006, 07:03 AM
I have a pair of Dwarf African frogs in a 5gal tank with my Betta. The Betta and frogs will bump into each other (frogs don't see well and bump into everything), but I've never seen violence. The Betta was always attacking any other fish in the tank. He ignores my shrimp, frogs, and snails. BTW one frog prefers to feed off the bottom and the other prefers floating food! I got them at different times from different stores and I'm guessing the were raised differently.