PDA

View Full Version : Negative publicity

Tooch
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I was sitting around last night working on fixing my brothers computer when a commercial came on called Piranha Panic or something like that. It really bothers me that people take something and then run a mile with it. I know it's only a childrens game, but it's these views of our hobby that start alot of problems. I mean, Piranha are illegal in a bunch of states. Quite a few of them are colder states, where the Piranha (if improperly released into the wild) could become an invasive species. There's that Snakehead Terror movie as well that I did a small review on a couple weeks ago. I did a quick search, and here are just some of the things I've found that can really cause people to not keep some beautiful fish. Personally, I have both Piranha and a Stingray...

Tooch
03-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Before people take pop-culture into account, they should first learn about what they're preaching about. Don't get me wrong, snakeheads are very adaptable creatures that can, and have, become an invasive fish. But if anyone has seen the movie Snakehead Terror, they'll know what i'm talking about...

angelcakes
03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
i share the same veiws about jaws the shark,sharks are intellegent creatures,sharks only attack when thretened and the vibrations of water,sharks are intreiged(spelling) by humans they don't go out to destroy humans on purpose,i love the jaws films there classics,but it does show that advertisers and the media see all dangourous animals as prederters(my spelling is so bad in this post!!) and give them a bad name which is so unfair,:22: good post!!

Sasquatch
03-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I remember an interview with Jaque Cousteau's son who mentionned that one the worst thing to happen to aquatic environments was the release of the movie "Finding Nemo".

Everyone who had a fish "released" it, introducing a bunch of invasive species into the environment.

Everyone who didn't have a fish said "That's so cute!" and went out and bought a clown fish ... with the resulting negative impacts on coral ecosystems.

In the end, I think that the average person is too easily influenced by what they see and often don't take enough time to think things through.

DragonGoby
03-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree with you ZCciVic22... On some point...
Most people will never look at a book about piranha our sharks or sting ray... And most of them will stay in the belief that they're dangerous for human... And they are, but not in the way people see them... Because sharks are predator and stingray can hurt... But most of the time because of bad interaction with human...So I agree it's bad publicity...

In another way, those toys are cute... And it's to the parent to be intelligent enough to buy this kind of toy and a book about the fish!!!
And if you are afraid of piranha and snakehead and sharks, read on them....

I don't mind they make movies about sharks and co... I'm more concern by the fact they're not a lot of show or books, widely spread, to show people and children what a shark really is... And by the fact that people actually believe what they see in an horror movie... Because, if you believe a movie like snakehead terror... you deserve to be eaten by a betta... No... Poor betta...:hmm3grin2orange: