PDA

View Full Version : The NOT-SO-PERFECT move & a question

decgoth
10-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Brought Scar home from NJ to Pa yesterday and talk about a NOT-SO-PERFECT move. I had bought a Frabil Min-O-Dipper and bubbble box from Walmart with the hopes nothing would have gone wrong for transporting. The only problem I had was being pulled over in NY and the officer wanting to know what was in the bucket(had it under a towel so it wouldn't splash thru the air holes). Before I could say anything, my 9y/o daughter chimes in with 'That's just Scar, mom's red belly piranha'. He told me in the State of New York the fish could be confiscated(mental note: double check your tail lights). I had to explain to him 3 times that the RBP was being transported to Pa and only stopped to get D batteries for the bubbler. The officer wanted to see Scar since he had NEVER seen RBP before and let 'us' off with a 'warning'(piranhas are illegal in NY).

Got him home after a 3 hour drive and the tank was only at 67F. I was up and down all night checking on him like a new mom with a new baby. Well...Scar is doing GREAT in the tank. it's now up to 78F and he is ALL OVER the place in there. He hid for about 3 hours and just checked on him and he's now chasing the feeders from one side of the tank to the other.

Now the question is: Scar is about 5in long now and is it better to have at least 2 RBP in a 55gal tank or is just the 1 ok?

Adrienne

Severus
10-16-2006, 08:22 PM
RBP's are a schooling fish and form very big shoals in the wild. In captivity they should ideally be kept in groups of three or more (all close to the same size) I would say Scar would definitely be happier with a frind of the same size. Im not too sure how many you can keep in a 55 but i would think two would be alright

Full3R
10-16-2006, 09:40 PM
on a tv show called Room Raiders a bloke kept like 7 pirahnas about 4inch long in a tank about a foot high, 1 foot deep and about 3 foot long

Severus
10-17-2006, 01:55 AM
Ive seen Room Raiders, but never that episode. What a shame...

Full3R
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
ive read numerous times that it is best to keep atleast half a dozen RBPs as they get very stressed alone so i would think atleast 6 pirahna the same size as scar would be alright in the 55 gal till they get bigger

Severus
10-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Yea, they will definitly need a bigger tank at some point, but for a little while you should be OK.

decgoth
10-21-2006, 12:32 AM
how much of a bigger tank? right now he's in a 55. one of the stores in NJ had 2 in a 55

Severus
10-23-2006, 02:17 AM
How many are you planning to add with Scar?

decgoth
10-24-2006, 03:23 AM
just 1 more. i've always had 2

Severus
10-24-2006, 03:00 PM
I think 2 in a 55 would be good for a long time, maybe forever?

whiteb
02-12-2007, 05:02 PM
has anyone ever seen a red-belly look like it is "shedding". It really looks like a film is covering his body. I honestly don't know what is happening to him. It has all happened in the past few days. Just curious what is happening to him. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Brad

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2007, 05:04 PM
he must be sick. Its his slime layer, and extra mucous, not shedding.

so, does it looke like slime stickin off? then its deffinitely mucous

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
off petlibrary.com

Slime Diseases
Symptoms: sluggishness, frayed fins, dulled coloration (fish has bcome mucus covered), damaged gills, death

There are various types of protozoa which can cause these symptoms, and they are treated in a similar way. The different parasites are Costia (Ichtybodo), Cyclochaeta (Trichodina), and Chilodonella respectively, the last being the most resistant of the parasites. Once the disease has spread to the gills, it is at its most deadly, and could prove fatal to the affected fish.

remedy:
The first thing to do is to contact your vet or petstore for further instruction. Several good medications are available. It is wise to treat your main tank in order to ensure that you have successfully removed all traces of the parasite from it (although it may be beneficial to also move a badly afflicted fish to a quarantine tank). Leave the filter running, but remove any activated carbon because this substance takes medicine out of the water.

If the slime disease persists despite the use of a general medication, it is most likely the Chilodonella strain, and additional action must be taken. Placing your fish into a short-term bath is then suggested. NOTE that giving your fish a bath in this way is strongly discouraged except under the supervision of an expert! This said: if the fish's gills are not affected, a bath in a water-formalin solution (formalin is a corrosive poison) is suggested. If the gills are affected, the fish may not be able to survive a bath in water-formalin, and so a bath in a water-salt solution is suggested, with a water-formalin bath to follow only if the water-salt solution does not succeed.

Severus
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Sounds like it might be a fungus...

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
maybe fungus, but i'd place my bet on a parisite

Drumachine09
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
My friend keeps and breeds illegal (in the city) snakes and reptiles in his basement. He has a 4 foot water monitor, many boas, pythons and such. His house got broken into, and the cops had to do a walkthrough of th ENTIRE house, but because he let the cops hold his 6 foot reticulated python, the cop just told him not to get caught. Cheapest bribe EVER!

Severus
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
He is lucky, that could have been a hefty fine!

Drumachine09
02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
And confiscation. His reptile room is worth about 25 thousand.

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2007, 03:01 AM
I remember a year back at my summerhome the neighbors in the forest part had LOTS of oil and bleach containers outside their house, and never welcomed me or anything.

1 million$ crack and weed bust

Drumachine09
02-13-2007, 03:02 AM
Sucks to be them, eh?

Severus
02-13-2007, 03:14 AM
I guess they are in jail for awhile... lol

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2007, 03:14 AM
probably- lol

Severus
02-13-2007, 03:23 AM
awhile as in... 25+ years

Chrona
02-13-2007, 03:23 AM
awhile as in... 25+ years

a million dollars in crack? uh yeah lol

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2007, 03:36 AM
theyre not comin out anytime soon.

I think new people bought the house

Tooch
12-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Sorry to post in this thread so long after the last post, but I was curious to see what you ended up doing? Did you add another piranha? Did it adapt. From what I understood, adding additional piranha to a tank with established piranha usually ends up with the new one getting eaten. I don't know if that's just adding 1 or 2 more to a school already in the tank, or if it's ok if there's only just one in the tank already. I'm interested to hear the results!

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2007, 06:19 PM
this threads over a year old, i doubt the poster will come back

Tooch
12-29-2007, 03:35 AM
i figured... I was curious though, so it was worth a shot!

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 04:19 AM
wow...old thread....lol.