PDA

View Full Version : South American biotope?

LosC
03-13-2008, 06:32 AM
All my fish are from S.A. Does this mean I have a South American biotope goin on in my tank? My main question is; what plants would do best in my tank for the following fish: 7 Neon Tetra's, 1 German Blue Ram Cichlid and 6Corydoras. I'm a beginner, just bought my light fixture. I'm going for a more natural habitat look for my fish.

doug z
03-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Here's what I'm looking at for mine (75g with all but one type of fish, dwarf gourami, from S. A.:

Echinodorus martii (background)

Valisnaria spiralis (background)

Echinodorus tennelus (foreground)

Cabomba caroliniana(background)

Bacopa caroliniana (midground)

Brazilian Pennywort ; Hydrocotyle leucocephala (midground)

Amazon Frogbit , Limnobium laevigatum (floating plant)

That should give you a start, I hope..

What kind of light do you have? What sort of substrate? C02?

LosC
03-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Here's what I'm looking at for mine (75g with all but one type of fish, dwarf gourami, from S. A.:

Echinodorus martii (background)

Valisnaria spiralis (background)

Echinodorus tennelus (foreground)

Cabomba caroliniana(background)

Bacopa caroliniana (midground)

Brazilian Pennywort ; Hydrocotyle leucocephala (midground)

Amazon Frogbit , Limnobium laevigatum (floating plant)

That should give you a start, I hope..

What kind of light do you have? What sort of substrate? C02?
Great list. I bought it used off a local classified ad. All I know is it's 15 watts fluorescent. Looks like the cheap light strip that comes with the hood as a kit. I have regular blue gravel in my tank. I have no idea how to plant. Looking for an easy plant to work with. Heres the list I came up with:

Watersprite(getting for free)
Anacharis
Amazon Sword
Java fern
Vallisneria
Ludwigia

^I looked these up as beginner plants, dont know what they look like.

doug z
03-13-2008, 07:56 AM
A good way to see what plants look like is just to google the names.

You will get hits that will more than likely have pictures..

Here's one example of the kind of hit you'll get when you type: Vallisneria , for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallisneria

Note there are alot of different typs of Vallisneria. Amazon sword as well..

Google them and you can narrow down what you prefer..

You will want to get a better light (even a weed like anacharis will grow better with at least 2 watts per gallon (you'd want to get a 40w light at least), and use tab ferts for any kind of plants if you are just using gravel.

Water Sprite and Java Fern don't come from SA, of course..

But I'm cheating with my list, too.. :)

Java Fern is a low light plant, and attaches to driftwood or rock, so you don't have to worry about tab ferts..

zackish
03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Carlos that is a good list you have. I had a 29 gallon tank with some of the same plants in it. What kind of light are you running, what is its wattage.
Anubias plants are very good growers too and don't require too much light.

smaug
03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Great list. I bought it used off a local classified ad. All I know is it's 15 watts fluorescent. Looks like the cheap light strip that comes with the hood as a kit. I have regular blue gravel in my tank. I have no idea how to plant. Looking for an easy plant to work with. Heres the list I came up with:

Watersprite(getting for free)
Anacharis more light
Amazon Sword will live
Java fern will work
Vallisneria should work
Ludwigia lots more light

^I looked these up as beginner plants, dont know what they look like.
I marked your list with what i think 15watts is almost no light at all really,if your tank is not tall and under 15gal your list is fine,20gal and over you will have problems.

LosC
03-13-2008, 03:49 PM
what about crypts, anubias and moneyworts?
smaug I'm going to upgrade my light strip to a 40w bulb. Once I get a 40w bulb would I be successfull with any of the mentioned plants?

smaug
03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
with the upgrade you will be ok with all but the ludwigia .Stem plants in general need lots of light,if they dont have it they will become leggy and not be filled out
"what about crypts, anubias and moneyworts" you ask.
they will do well with your upgrade.Just make sure the new bulb is a 6700k rating.Good luck Carlos.

LosC
03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks Smaug. I've narrowed it down to Crypts, Anubias, Java fern, Amazon sword, Vals and moneywort. Ofcourse I plan on starting small with a couple plants, should I start with the same kind tho? I'll let you know which plants I get and what I should do with them, and I'll need some help on how to plant them. I don't know where certain plants should be positioned in my tank and I'll need to add more gravel and level it from highest point in the back to gradually lower in the front (correct)?

smaug
03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Smaug. I've narrowed it down to Crypts, Anubias, Java fern, Amazon sword, Vals and moneywort. Ofcourse I plan on starting small with a couple plants, should I start with the same kind tho? I'll let you know which plants I get and what I should do with them, and I'll need some help on how to plant them. I don't know where certain plants should be positioned in my tank and I'll need to add more gravel and level it from highest point in the back to gradually lower in the front (correct)?
The leveling from front to back is how i did mine,over time however it has all leveled out.As for where to put differant plants you will want the most light demanding of them to be where they will get the most light of course.I would say the money wort and the sword are your most light demanding with the others being very forgiving of where you plant them,that is a personal taste thing and I dont find myself especially good at planted tank layouts.Let us know when you get them and Im sure there will be no end to the info that will be given.

LosC
03-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I couldn't find a light for my tank that is over 15 watts. I checked 4 different LFS's and home depot, all 15watts. The last one I went to I started talking to an older employee there and he showed me a Aqua-Glo 18,000k 15w T8 light. It was the last one so he gave it to me for $10. On the box it says it promotes plant growth and is classified under power-glo 18,000k. Will this work?

doug z
03-14-2008, 08:36 PM
It's still only 15W.. :(

You want 40W, minimum..

and 18,000K.. man.. that's for coral, isn't it? Plants need 6700K..

LosC
03-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Darn. I can't find anything size 18" thats is over 15watts. Could I still use this light to grow something? Java fern?

doug z
03-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Won't know till you try, I guess.. :)

But like I say, 18K is way too "blue" for plants..

Plants need 6700K to 10K (red to "white" daylight), max..

PS, never heard of a 20g that was 18" wide.. Most freshwater tanks are 24".. How high is it?

Edit:

This is the best I could find.. I know it's more $$$, and not the right size.. Not finding anything 18" in a freshwater..

Are you sure that's how wide your tank is?

Here's a T-5 dual strip at 28W total

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18360/si1379084/cl0/coralifefwt5aqualightdoublestriplight24

OR

A single power compact that's 65W

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1383180/cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualight24powercompactlight1x65 w

smaug
03-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Carlos,you wont be able to find a bulb over 15 w for that fixture that is the only thing made for it.The 18000k bulb will not be so good either,they are not meant for plants despite what the packaging states.I apparently misunderstood you when you stated you were upgrading your fixture,I thought you meant you were getting a different fixture entirely,sorry to have mislead you.15 watts is lowere then minimum for most all plants.You can grow java ferns and moss though and maybe anubias.
Doug: the 18 inch bulb is for a 24 inch fixture.My 20 has the same thing.

doug z
03-14-2008, 11:58 PM
The 15W might be ok.. But the 18,000K spectrum is totally useless for growing plants..

Sorry man, but you just wasted $10, in my opinion..

Either of those lights I linked will work, though..

Thanks, Smaug.. Was wondering why I couldn't find any 18" strips.. LOL

smaug
03-15-2008, 12:02 AM
no problem Doug Thats why Im here ,:c2: to help you.

LosC
03-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Carlos,you wont be able to find a bulb over 15 w for that fixture that is the only thing made for it.The 18000k bulb will not be so good either,they are not meant for plants despite what the packaging states.I apparently misunderstood you when you stated you were upgrading your fixture,I thought you meant you were getting a different fixture entirely,sorry to have mislead you.15 watts is lowere then minimum for most all plants.You can grow java ferns and moss though and maybe anubias.
Doug: the 18 inch bulb is for a 24 inch fixture.My 20 has the same thing.

I did upgrade my fixture and than I upgraded the bulb today. I'm gonna have to get a bigger fixture, found one already on kijiji. It will be a 24" bulb, what do you recommend for a 24" bulb?

LosC
03-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Won't know till you try, I guess.. :)

But like I say, 18K is way too "blue" for plants..

Plants need 6700K to 10K (red to "white" daylight), max..

PS, never heard of a 20g that was 18" wide.. Most freshwater tanks are 24".. How high is it?

Edit:

This is the best I could find.. I know it's more $$$, and not the right size.. Not finding anything 18" in a freshwater..

Are you sure that's how wide your tank is?

Here's a T-5 dual strip at 28W total

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18360/si1379084/cl0/coralifefwt5aqualightdoublestriplight24

OR

A single power compact that's 65W

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1383180/cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualight24powercompactlight1x65 w
The fixture I bought is a little small for my tank. I measured my tank from side to side and its 24". But I found out that a 24" bulb wont fit a 24" tank because the bulb comes in a 28" fixture. So I would need a 24" fixture that would come with a 20" bulb, correct? I'm thinkin about getting a brand new one from bigalsonline canada.

LosC
03-15-2008, 01:24 AM
big al's U.S. is alot cheaper than big al's Canada. Doesn't make sense considering the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar.

cocoa_pleco
03-15-2008, 01:32 AM
if you can find it the hagen GLO 24" 2x24w T-5 is good, runs for about $100-$125 but theyre good, i have the 24" 48w and 48" 108w model

doug z
03-15-2008, 01:47 AM
But I found out that a 24" bulb wont fit a 24" tank because the bulb comes in a 28" fixture

Yeah, like smaug says, a 24" light strip like you need takes 18" tubes..

if you can find it the hagen GLO 24" 2x24w T-5 is good, runs for about $100-$125 but theyre good

Yup, that'd be better, for sure..

But it sounds like it might be out of Carlos's budget

cocoa_pleco
03-15-2008, 01:48 AM
if its out of your budget carlos, try to find the Helios T-5. they run for only $30-$40 and are 1x24w.

example

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.commodityaxis.com/Images/Products/T5-II-Deluxe2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx%3Fid%3D67&h=209&w=250&sz=19&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aA_i2JMKyvvSJM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhelios%2B24%2522%2Bt-5%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

LosC
03-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Doug, you know me too well lol. I'l be on the lookout for the helios than. Thanks

cocoa_pleco
03-15-2008, 01:52 AM
i have the 24w model, its actually really bright. i had it on a 20g high reef a long time ago. its now on my 15g long brackish tank