PDA

View Full Version : I want an answer!

Michaela
03-13-2008, 12:17 AM
My two red eared slider turtles, Little Pablo and Marble, were given to me on
December 2, 2007, for my birthday. But a few weeks later, I noticed some
crusty white spots on their shells that were soft. I reaserched and decided that
it is shell rot. I tried home care- I scrubbed them daily and put peroxide on their soft spots and gently picked at the white spots. I did this regurally for two weeks and cleaned out their tank once a week, but nothing worked. My turtles have been given many choices of where to bask from bowls to rocks, but nothing attracted them. I think that they need to bask more and despite my mom buying a powerful filter and changing the tank weekly, the tank stinks and is dirty. I hope you can help.
Michaela

Drumachine09
03-13-2008, 12:18 AM
I moved this to the reptile forum. Please try to post threads in the proper forums in the future.

~Drum

Kaga's Kritters
03-13-2008, 12:25 AM
how big are the turtles
what kind of filter are you using
how big is the tank
when u change the tank weekly, what all do you do to it

Fishguy2727
03-13-2008, 12:45 AM
You may need more frequent water changes and more filtration. Water quality is the leading cause of health problems like this with water turtles.

DragonGoby
03-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Do they have enough light (UVA and B) for them to perform/do/create (???) vitamin?
I'm not sure, but I think it might be one of the reason of shell rot...
Sorry, I can't help more :11:

angelcakes
03-13-2008, 03:43 PM
vitamins are a good sauce for reptiles,may i ask about the diet?

shalafi04
03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
do you ever let them out into the sunlight. My friend had 3 red sliders and took them out to play in the yard everyday, so that they would get plenty of sunlight and exercise

Fishguy2727
03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
They use UVB to make Vitamin D3 which allows them to use calcium. Fortunately Vitamin D3 can and should also be provided for in the diet. But natural sunlight is one of the best things you can provide.

dustinpedley
03-13-2008, 11:18 PM
shell rot can come from lots of things most likely they are not getting enough UVB light. they need this to metabolize their calcium via vitamin D3. without UVB no matter what you try the little guys will just end up dieing. natural sunlight will not penetrate the glass in the aquarium so you NEED a UVB reptile bulb, about $20 at any pet store

also what size turt's and and how big of tanks do you have, they need 10 gal per inch of turt x2 for your two turts. ie 2 2" RES need at least a 40 gal tank.

Also shell rot will not grow back very well

Fishguy2727
03-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Shell rot is a separate issue from soft shell, which is caused by not enough calcium or Vitamin D3. Shell rot is usually a water quality issue. As stated you can provide the Vitamin D3 in the diet, not necessarily a light, but it is better to double up.