PDA

View Full Version : Red devil or Midas cichlid...

sarit
10-15-2006, 04:18 PM
:confused: [COLOR="Purple"][/Hello to all!
I have a large fish. Looked on the site and read that it is a female red devil cichlid. since the midas cichlid and the red devil can be confused, how can i tell what it really is. the pet store owner thought he sold me a parrot fish. at first i thought it was a parrot fish when a friend of mine (fish lover) told me that i have a red devil.
she is about 20cm long and does not eat at all. how often do these fish eat? so if any one can enlighten me as to how to tell which one i have and why she does not eat, would be appreciated...thanks ...sarit

NorthernBoy
10-15-2006, 04:58 PM
A true labiatum will have protruding, fleshy lips, a more slender built, and a triangular-shaped head. These diabolical cichlids can reach a maximum length of 30 cm. The Midas cichlid will develop the nuchal hump (usually with breeding males), a blunter head shape, and a stout, thick body.

I got this info from aquahobby.com.

sarit
10-15-2006, 06:21 PM
northernboy
please can u tell me why in the devil my red devil is not eating? is this a common feature? how often do they eat?...sarit

NorthernBoy
10-16-2006, 05:45 AM
I wish I could help you but I have never kept them. William should be able to answer. I will do some research and will hopefully be able to help later.

SGHE
10-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Hey,

I'm Devil crazy, so heres my five cent worth of their eating habits. When Devils are young they eat heaps and basically anything that you put in their tank!! When they get older, they usually only need feeding about once a day, my large breeding pair, 11" Female and 13" Male, get feed once a day. One thing I have found is that a varied diet is good. I feed my devils a range of foods, High Quality Pellets, Blood Worms, Live Food, Corn, Pea's, Insects... I'm surprised to hear she isn't eating?? They are usually big eaters. Have you only just got her? If so give her time to come around. I have found that if I'm a bit slack and the tank is a bit dirty or there is some un eaten food in the tank that my Devils go off there food. Just a thought maybe give your tank a real good clean with a 40% water change, leave her for a day. Then try feeding her??

Good Luck

Shane