PDA

View Full Version : Betta fins shredded

Slow Cheetah
10-15-2006, 06:38 AM
My male betta in the past few months has been having problems with his fins. At first i had 3 male guppys and 2 clown loaches with him and no problem. then i overstocked and put in 3 platys. in about 3 weeks my bettas fins where cut and red and all 3 of my guppies were dead. I moved him out and got him a 12 litre by himself and thought he might get lonely so i got him a female betta to go with him. after a while she was nipping his fins aswell. does it look like it is time for my male betta to spend the rest of his life by himself to keep his fins looking healthy? he is approximately 1 yr and 4 months old if thats important.

P.S: i was using melafix to repair his fins which it says you can do. portions of the fins did grow back but transparent looking with no colour (he has blue fins). will colour come back to the fins or will they be colourless forever?

PLZ HELP SOMEBODY :(

betta mom
10-15-2006, 07:06 AM
take the female out ASAP.... the only time you put a male & female betta together is if your going to breed them . and the guppies are dead because betta's don't like them . they see the tail and think it's another male betta and will kill it . most male betta's are best in tanks by their self . you can put females in community tanks . i have my male betta's in 2.5gal tanks . but please get her out now.... he will kill her or she will kill him . :wink2:

kimmers318
10-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Alot of times bettas do work in community tanks...but it always depends on the betta...so I agree....get him out to his own place. One of my bettas in in a large understocked community tank so no territorial issues and although he occasionally flares at my dwarf gourami and chases the sparkling gourami he never nips...he just guards his own corner! My other betta has 3 little panda cories in his tank and I have not seen him do anything other than stare at them when I first put them in. But I have heard a lot of horror stories similar to yours that end up with a betta that must be kept alone.

Slow Cheetah
10-18-2006, 07:56 AM
ok thx but does no1 knows about fin regrowth and colour?

kimmers318
10-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Sorry...yes, the fins should regrow, as for the color, I don't know. When I have had nipped fins I haven't seen any color missing, so that is a first for me. Besides the melafix, you can also try some stresscoat to help him. Hope all goes well for you.