PDA

View Full Version : Levels spiked after adding decor

bfisher88
10-15-2006, 03:13 AM
So i added this little cave thing that my buddy used for a while and had but never used anymore, and i put it in and it seems to have made everything spike like the nitrate nitrite ph i dont know whats going on. What can i do to get this under control.

kimmers318
10-15-2006, 01:06 PM
You don't usually see spikes in water readings from adding aquarium decor unless it is specifically meant to. Did you do anything else different lately? Too excessive cleaning? Remove decor/gravel? How do you clean your filter media...when was the last time you cleaned it/replaced it? Also....give us some info pertaining to size and inhabitants of your tank.

bfisher88
10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Alright it is a ten gallon...been set up for probably 6-8 months. I have 2 silvertip sharks, 1 large female guppy, a platy, and a zebra loach i think it is called. A changed the filter cartridge to a new one because i put that used older one in a new ten gallon i just got to try and jumpstart it. Took out about 15% of water and added new. Other than that i think those are the only things that would have changed. Any solutions?

kimmers318
10-15-2006, 11:07 PM
It is possible when you remove the filter media entirely to create small spikes in your water....you remove alot of bacteria when you have to do it. Sometimes that is what has to be done though when you have all in one type media as I do in some of my tanks. I usually just make sure the filter replacement is not the same day as a water change to keep from disturbing too much at once. As for a ph spike....I have no clue there as to what could have brought that up unless it has been gradually climbing over time and you didn't notice it. If that is the case, something in the tank could be the culprit. Keep an eye on your water parameters and that will let you know if things are getting worse or stabilizing so you can act accordingly.

bfisher88
10-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Alright thanks a lot kimmer i appreciate it. It most likely was the water change and filter change at the same time... Now I know. What i plan to do in the new tank is buy 2 male and 2 female guppies and hope for some fry. But now im just letting it cycle for few days before adding. I'll probably pick up some tomorrow
. Thanks again for the help ill try and post pistures soon

kimmers318
10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
If you have already added the old filter media to the new tank....no need to let it sit a few days....the bacteria in the filter media will just die off if there isn't a source of ammonia to feed off of. If you aren't ready to purchase any new fish right now you might want to consider moving 1 or 2 of your existing fish to keep it going until all is ready.

bfisher88
10-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Ok so i took my large female guppy out of my established tank and it put it into the new 10 gallon, then went and bought 2 more male and 2 more female guppies. So hopefully so i will have some fry and can get both tanks at good levels.