PDA

View Full Version : setting up planted tank

MandyL
03-12-2008, 01:25 AM
So I am waiting for some mail orders to arrive before I set up my 35 gallon tank. I want to plant it immediately with a medium plant load (so they can fill out some). I bought some flourescent lighting that makes up 2wpg. I realize that this is not high lighting, but I should probably still add co2 injection and fertilizers, right?

So if I want to add co2 and fertilizer, do I do this immediately or should I wait a couple weeks after planting? I did buy Flourite Black which I will layer under a bit of regular gravel.

As well, what fertilizer should I buy? I am incredibly confused by all of the different types, especially looking at the Flourish line - phosphorous, excel, potassium, iron, nitrogen, trace... Whew! Is there a more all-in-one product to use?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Wow, let's see if we can sort some of this out for you. If you are only planning to moderately plant this tank and you only have 2wpg then you don't need CO2, and you may not even need the fertilizers either. The flourish line is a good line and is probably one of the easiest to dose with if you do find that you need the. Most of those are things that you won't need, however there are 3 that I would always keep on hand if you do start dosing; Excel, Potassium, and regular Flourish. The others are only going to be necessary if you find some nutrient shortages in your water. However since you are using flourite you should be in good shape on just about all of your nutrients. Do you have any idea what kind of plants you are wanting to keep?

MandyL
03-12-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm basically taking the lists of easy/hardy plants to the store and picking out the ones I like. So I'm not sure which ones for sure.

Tigerbarb
03-12-2008, 02:16 AM
You should have the gravel go up as it reaches the back wall of the tank, like a stage seating collumn.
A good hint is to have small objects like rocks, or something with holes or millions of tiny ridges in it, so that when a plant seed sprouts from it's Mother, it can cling on to the object and root into it.

MandyL
03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
OK so basically I need to stop over-complicating things, and skip the co2 and fertilizer altogether unless I notice problems?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Exactly. I'm not sure who told you that you need to inject CO2 to have plants, they unfortunately misinformed you. I have 3 tanks right now that have live plants in them and none have CO2 being injected at the moment.

MandyL
03-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for your help. :) I will relax a bit and just watch to see how they do!

smaug
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
So I am waiting for some mail orders to arrive before I set up my 35 gallon tank. I want to plant it immediately with a medium plant load (so they can fill out some). I bought some flourescent lighting that makes up 2wpg. I realize that this is not high lighting, but I should probably still add co2 injection and fertilizers, right?

So if I want to add co2 and fertilizer, do I do this immediately or should I wait a couple weeks after planting? I did buy Flourite Black which I will layer under a bit of regular gravel.

As well, what fertilizer should I buy? I am incredibly confused by all of the different types, especially looking at the Flourish line - phosphorous, excel, potassium, iron, nitrogen, trace... Whew! Is there a more all-in-one product to use?
first off,congrats on the new tank you will be enjoying.With 2wpg you will not need co2,unless you want to go through with the hassle of it,and expense.
for ferts,2wpg will not require a great deal,since you got a fertilizing substrate such ecocomplete you may want something simple such as fluorapride.All of the above ferts you list are all usefull and can be purchased later as your confidence and the need for them arise.Get a good book about aquatic plants it will help tremendously.I do recomend the excel as that is a co2 sullpement and I have had great success with it,it does have a few drawbacks in that some members here have reported that it will kill vals and I have had bad luck with mossbals using it.Good luck with your plants!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
I know it's not necessarily related to the thread, but I just wanted to point out that the reason Mossballs do not react to Excell well is because they are technically not a plant, they are balls of Algae and algae doesn't need CO2 to photosynthesize.

smaug
03-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I know it's not necessarily related to the thread, but I just wanted to point out that the reason Mossballs do not react to Excell well is because they are technically not a plant, they are balls of Algae and algae doesn't need CO2 to photosynthesize.
yup,exactly.