PDA

View Full Version : Alpheus glaber - Pistol Shrimp

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I have been doing research on SW crabs and shrimp and come across this one. I watched a video on youtube of it killing a cleaner shrimp with its 'blast'.
Can the shrimp kill any fish the 'blast' hits???
Could this hurt a human in anyway?
Can it break glass??? I ask this becasue they said it can shoot the 'blast' at 100km/h with temp 9900C.

Sasquatch
03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
If it's the same pistol shrimp I'm thinking of, the yes to all of the above.

The stats you have are correct, extremely localized, but correct. It's one nasty little bugger.

Cool as all get out to have in a tank though! Just get an acrylic tank, less brittle!

Levi
03-12-2008, 01:06 AM
mantis shrimp are like that

usually kept in acrylic aquariums

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks Sasquatch.

Is there anythink that could go in the tank with it??
what size of tank would one beable to fit into??
Is it reef safe??

Here is the video I watched of the Pistol Shrimp blasting a cleaner shrimp.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc

But here is a video that makes the Pistol Shrimp seems safe and normal. Could it be another species of pistol shrimp?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EUBoZzvNM5I

Levi
03-12-2008, 01:19 AM
i doubt they are a good idea for reef tanks, but a specimen tank might work

you could feed him cleaner shrimp lol

expensive diet

Sasquatch
03-12-2008, 01:22 AM
I think they'd be ok, as long as there is room for it to hide so it's not shooting off at everything that moves ... could decimate a tank pretty quick.

Of course, as the video says, it eats other shrimp ... which you'd have to buy. You could get jumpy feeding that bugger.

PS: Gotta love the sound effects on that first video ... I just love discovery channel!

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 02:09 AM
So it sounds like you wouldn't want one in your tank.

Levi..why don't you think they are good for reef tanks?? I don't think that they would hurt the coral.

They would eat other things like shrimp pellets, veggie rounds, flakes, blood worms, brine shrimp, etc.. Wouldn't they??

Could you put like 1 10g?? I doubt anything smaller than that.

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2008, 02:15 AM
when they gust they might rip some corals

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 02:17 AM
when they gust they might rip some corals
so pretty well there a shrimp you shouldn't get???

when they 'shoot' does it actually sound like a pistol?? Like is it loud?

EDIT - so if I were to get one would it be fine in a FOWLR in 10g?? They only get what 4-5cm big?? It could be by itself. I am still in the thinking process.

Levi
03-12-2008, 02:28 AM
they eat shrimp

besides, feeding them pellets would ruin the novelty aspect

they probably wouldn't shoot at food pellets

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 02:34 AM
they eat shrimp

besides, feeding them pellets would ruin the novelty aspect

they probably wouldn't shoot at food pellets
that would be expensive to feed it shrimp. I guess you could use ghost shrimp.

I just read an article (http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/Hawaii/Shrimp-goby/general/Grundel-Krebs.htm) about these shrimp and it states that you can keep gobies in with the shrimp no problem.

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2008, 02:48 AM
yep, they will share a symbiotic or whatever relationship with a clown goby

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 02:48 AM
yep, they will share a symbiotic or whatever relationship with a clown goby
yeah...I think that it is really neat how they will do that. The goby is it's alarm system.

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Do you know if they are available?? Like if they are difficult to get??

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2008, 04:00 AM
i see them all the time at reef stores

spudbuds
03-12-2008, 05:27 AM
A friend of mine had one in his reef. He had it paired with a burrowing goby of some sort. I don't believe it ever attacked any of his fish, but I'll have to check on other inverts. The reference book I have says that most will eat diced fish, krill, and some prepared foods. It also says that some are good community animals and some are not.

- Bill

Sasquatch
03-12-2008, 11:41 AM
that would be expensive to feed it shrimp. I guess you could use ghost shrimp.

Remember that ghost shrimp are freshwater ... they probably won't last long in a SW tank.

Feeding shrimp bits, fish and such should work though, most shrimp will scavenge.

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Remember that ghost shrimp are freshwater ... they probably won't last long in a SW tank.

Feeding shrimp bits, fish and such should work though, most shrimp will scavenge.
All I would have to do is make sure it lands to where the pistol shrimp is. and it can eat it. Even when it dies something would eat it.

Yeah I don't have any reef shops near me so I wouldn't know how available they are. They are cool little shrimp but if they would make a snack out of my fish then i wouldn't want to get one. Also..would you have to put the goby and shrimp in the tank at the same time so that they pair up?? I am thinking not because you would be adding to much to fast. right?

spudbuds
03-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I checked with my buddy at work and he had a cleaner shrimp in with his pistol shrimp for over a year and there was never any problem. It never attacked any of his fish either. He really enjoyed watching the shrimp and the goby and he is considering getting another one. He also said the noise wasn't too loud. He would hear it 3 times a week or so and always at night. It sounds like a piece of sand being shot into the glass. Similar to sand hitting the windshield of a car.

- Bill

squirt_12
03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I checked with my buddy at work and he had a cleaner shrimp in with his pistol shrimp for over a year and there was never any problem. It never attacked any of his fish either. He really enjoyed watching the shrimp and the goby and he is considering getting another one. He also said the noise wasn't too loud. He would hear it 3 times a week or so and always at night. It sounds like a piece of sand being shot into the glass. Similar to sand hitting the windshield of a car.

- Bill
Thanks Bill. That sounds good then. What size of tank does he have?? Thats good that the sound wasn't loud.
Would I need an acrylic tank then?? So that it can't break the glass???

Thanks Bill. thumbs2:

spudbuds
03-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks Bill. That sounds good then. What size of tank does he have?? Thats good that the sound wasn't loud.
Would I need an acrylic tank then?? So that it can't break the glass???

Thanks Bill. thumbs2:
He had it in a standard 20g high made of glass.

squirt_12
03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
He had it in a standard 20g high made of glass.
ok. Thanks so much! :thumb:

I figured that the blast could break glass. I guess not.lol.