PDA

View Full Version : GBR and Kribensis?

LosC
03-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I have 1 GBR. I was looking for another GBR today at a LFS but there was none. There was Kribensis though, would a Kribensis do good in my tank along with my GBR? The guy from the lfs said I should add fish quick before my GBR becomes aggressive and territorial.

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry for intruding but I should know this....what is a GBR??

LosC
03-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Sorry for intruding but I should know this....what is a GBR??
It's ok. German Blue Ram (Dwarf Cichlid)

Tolley
03-11-2008, 07:05 PM
German Blue Ram Squirt. As for the kribs im not sure but i think it would be more the kribs aggresion rather than the gbr. I think 1 might be alright but not 2 incase they breed.

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
It's ok. German Blue Ram (Dwarf Cichlid)
hahah Yeah after I posted that i got thinking and I was like...OH MAN...I should know this. Then after I saw you posted I looked at your sig and here and was like...ahhhh now I know.
Thanks.

I think that they should be fine. Kribs are bottom-middle dwellers. They really only get aggressive when they are breeding. The corys might be a factor as they are at the same swimming level. They may fight for food.

EDIT - also the kribs will get roughly 4"

Incredulous_Ed
03-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Why not just get a female blue ram?

LosC
03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Why not just get a female blue ram?

Yeah I'd rather do that but I'm not prepared to raise fry. They're hard to find. a lfs by my house wont have rams till a couple weeks from now. I'll keep lookin.

gem
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
The only issue you might run into keeping Kribensis with rams is if the Kribensis spawn. They can tend to get quite agressive at that point. They probably chase rams at other times as well, just not as zealously. I keep German blue rams with my pair of Kribensis in a 55 gal tank. I'm not sure I would in a 30 gal but again, it's possible. I would provide plenty of rockwork and plants (either real or fake) to give the Kribs a place to call cave sweet cave and for the rams to escape to. IME my Kribs give up chase as long as the rams keep away from the cave. You could also go with a small school of zebra danios as dither fish. That will help the agression as well.

Edit: got a bit lost in the thread. I thought the person asking about Kribensis had a 30 gal. Reading your sig, Carlos, I wouldn't add a pair of Kribensis to your 20. maybe just another ram.

Nautilus291
03-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I wouldnt suggest it. If you get a female they tend to be aggressive even when they arnt spawning. And kribs are from africa and gbr are from south america.

LosC
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Another question; Can I feed my GBR African Cichlid pellet food?

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 09:04 PM
You could have 1 GBR and 1 krib. But like I said before the kribs and corys might not get along so well.

LosC
03-12-2008, 03:43 AM
I'm gonna go with a second German Blue Ram. Today I seen my GBR behaving aggressively towards my Corys over a sinking wafer. He also nipped at and chased a Tetra. Today he had a couple african cichlid pellets I have, tomorrow I'm getting some live food for him.