PDA

View Full Version : Weird behaviour

smokeypea
10-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi, i have a 6 inch Oscar, for a couple of days now when i go to the tnak with food, instead of nearly jumping out for it, he runs to the side of his filter , like he is scared of me, he doesnt seem to want as much to eat as usual, i give him a very varied diet, and do 2-3 water changes per week, water testings are fine, he looks and acts very healthy, today i had to take one of his ornaments out cos he swims through his like arch thing and he grazed his side, getting to big to do that i suppose, what else can i put in the tank thats safe? i do put in a couple of fake plants, just so he can move them about, he doesnt like them much. I just try to feed him is favs, do they lose their appetite when they get bigger? Thanks for any advice.

Full3R
10-15-2006, 02:12 AM
If anything he should have a bigger appetite, i would put in some PVC pipe thats about inchs in diameter for him to hide in, try putting a couple of live fish in for him to just chase around for a bit then try and feed him again

smokeypea
10-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks for reply, i know this is a stupid question , but where would i get pvc tubing from? a petshop? and do i have to be careful what sort i put in the tank? i am just learning about all this and dont want to makew any mistakes. I did think of putting some live fish in there for him, but i am worried about diseases, he did eat some ghost shrimp yesterday, some beefheart, bloodworms and one earthworm today, it seems like when i offer him food he looks at it, then swims away as if i am not giving him what he wants, like he wants it but doesnt if you get what i mean, hew loved nightcrawlers but now runs away from them, he did eat smaller worms today though, just not as many as he ususally does, maybe i am worry to much about my little guy.

kimmers318
10-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Our oscars have gone thru periods where they eat nonstop and then they don't seem to want to eat. During the slower eating periods they also had slower growth so we figure they hit a slow point in their growing and didn't need as much....or were just being ornery and waiting for their favorites. As long as everything else seems well I wouldn't worry too much....I am sure they will start being little piggies again soon.

NorthernBoy
10-15-2006, 02:25 PM
? i am just learning about all this and dont want to makew any mistakes.

Mistakes are both inevitable and necessary sometimes to learn. Listen to kimmers (well her husband anyways, jk lol). If you want Oscar info try some of the specialized oscar forums for more detailed instruction. Fuller is also a Oscar god.

smokeypea
10-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for you replys, Ozzie did eat some ghost shrimp, beefheart and some bloodworms today, he looks ok , swimming about and active, except when i go near the tank he rund off and hids, never did that before, he must be in a huffy mood, lol. thanks again .