PDA

View Full Version : What do Snails need in a tank?

LosC
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I got a snail on accident the other day when I went to pick up some Corys. The fish lady netted my Corys along with some gravel. Once I got home I started taking out the gravel and throwing it out when I noticed a shell with a little guy in it and I mean little, very similar in size to a gravel pebble in my tank. I know nothing about snails nor what kind of snail it is. Do they eat anything and everything from the bottom? Should I worry about him and his survival? Will he grow with his shell?

Fishalicious
03-11-2008, 09:22 AM
If there is one thing in the aqua you really do not need to worry about then it is the survival of snails LOL They survive EVERYTHING and ANYTHING... they will eat dead plant matter, algae and left over food.... a little warning though.. where there is one snail there could be soon lot's of snails :hmm3grin2orange:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't worry about his survival too much since there's nothing in your tank that really eats snails. Your snail will scavange the tank for scraps of food just as your Corys do. Water with a decent KH is necessary for longterm health though as the snail will use the calcium in the water to build its shell. There is one thing though, if it is a pond snail then you may not really want to keep it, most hitchiker snails are actually pests in the tank and can breed and take over a tank quickly.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
they need no special treatment, they eat all of the crap at the bottom of the tank and multiply like crazy

xoolooxunny
03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I can tell you from experience that overfeeding your fish is the only way that those snails will multiply like crazy. Their population will grow or shrink to fit their environment, so less available food = less snails.

LosC
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
One can multiply itself?! Oh man. How fast do these guys grow?

Adrian
03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
The common pond snail is assexual and can produce at will. You will see a bunch of little eggs all over the tank, usually lower toward the bottom on the glass.

These snails, well, all snails and inverts fear 1 major thing. Copper. If there is even a trace of copper in there, it will kill them.

There are good snails, ones that don't multiply like rabbits, like the golden mystery snails, the ivory and blue, but the black one will eat plants. So avoid that one. Netrite snails are good too.

Just my piece.

jason 77
03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
The common pond snail is assexual and can produce at will. You will see a bunch of little eggs all over the tank, usually lower toward the bottom on the glass.

These snails, well, all snails and inverts fear 1 major thing. Copper. If there is even a trace of copper in there, it will kill them.

There are good snails, ones that don't multiply like rabbits, like the golden mystery snails, the ivory and blue, but the black one will eat plants. So avoid that one. Netrite snails are good too.

Just my piece.

Hello, I have bought snails on numerous occasions, and they have all died within like I would say a week to a month.... Does anyone know what might cause this? I do not think it is copper as the crabs in my tank are doing ok..
The snails just seem to go into their shell and never come out again?