PDA

View Full Version : New 55g BW

besces
03-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Hey all,

I am thinking of starting a new 55g BW tank; it is currently empty. I am graduating from a 10g FW planted and thus have no idea what the rules of engagement are for a BW tank. A few questions I have thought of so far: Crushed coral vs sand? Is 55g too big? How many fish can I eventually support and of what types (my daughter wants puffer(s)?)? Are there any good articles out there that I could read on getting started?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2008, 04:34 AM
i only have a 15g long brackish but i might be able to help you out

you could get archerfish, if im correct 55g is the minimum, theyre the fish that in the wild they shoot water to get insects in the water

heres some good reading, scroll down halfway and it gives stocking options for a 55g, badmans site is very trustworthy

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2008, 04:50 AM
also, are you making it a swamp with some land or all water?

besces
03-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Hadn't thought about that one. Does it require special lighting, CO2? I'm pretty tapped out at the moment. I can't believe how much I've spent on my 10g! The 55g is 48x12x19, pretty tall for a swamp it seems to me, but I could only pretend to know. Is there a reason you ask? Something I should look into? I haven't committed to anything yet, the empty tank isn't even clean yet.

besces
03-11-2008, 06:04 AM
I read the link you posted, thanks. I think the brackish river is going to be the way to go for me.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
yeah, the river would be easiest. the swamp with land idea wouldnt require anything extra but you could only have a few fish

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I personally love the swamp idea. Thats the one that I would do. I somewhat have a swamp tank. I have it with fiddler crabs and I really like it.

P.S.
It is really cheap and hasn't cost me alot of money. If you want me to tall you how much it costs just should. Mine is a 20g. But you could estimate.

besces
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Sure, what are the costs, it can't hurt to look into it. My concern is with lighting and CO2 requirements for the plants. For a 55g it seems the cost might be prohibitive, but perhaps swamps are different from planted tanks?

Thanks

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Sure, what are the costs, it can't hurt to look into it. My concern is with lighting and CO2 requirements for the plants. For a 55g it seems the cost might be prohibitive, but perhaps swamps are different from planted tanks?

Thanks
ok.
This is for what I have.
tank - you already have.
filter - $25 [you will have to get a better one...maybe canister] (I am using a repto filter)
lighting - I am using what came with the tank but if you want plants you can just buy a fluorescent bulb...roughly $50-100 for a 55g depending on the plants. I got a 15w 5000k bulb for my 10g for $15. (so you can estimate from there)
sand substrate - $10. I am using play sand. (was a huge bag and had lots left over) You can use pool filter sand aswell. YOu can get alot of this sand for cheap.
plants - I don't keep any plants in the tank because the crabs eat them. But plants arn't too expensive.

You don't need to have CO2 for plants. You could use fertilizers. I have used it once but you don't have to. If you have good lighting then you wont need the CO2. Usually for lighting for plants you are looking anywhere from 1-5wpg (watts per gallon). A normal fluorescent bulb should do the trick. You don't have to have live plants but it just makes it more natural. You can go fake plants.

I think that I have covered everything.

anymore questions just shoot.

Incredulous_Ed
03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
You could just use a 48 inch shop light for the tank, because a brackish tank isnt the best environment for plants, so the lighting doesnt matter too much. Use silica sand, it's cleaner than play sand. Or better yest, use sand especially made for aquariums.

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
You could just use a 48 inch shop light for the tank, because a brackish tank isnt the best environment for plants, so the lighting doesnt matter too much. Use silica sand, it's cleaner than play sand. Or better yest, use sand especially made for aquariums.
yes I forgot to mention that. There aren't many plants that grow in BW so your best bet would be fake.

Also. If you do swamp then you would want some plants up on the shore. Fake would work. A problem that I have been runing into is this: With the sand up off the shore...whenever you do a water change more of the sand falls down into the water making your beach smaller and smaller. This might not be the case for other people but I had mine built up a little ways so that might be why.

Incredulous_Ed
03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Well if you do a swamp, you would have slate or driftwood to hold up the sand, but eventually, you would have to rebuild it.

squirt_12
03-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Well if you do a swamp, you would have slate or driftwood to hold up the sand, but eventually, you would have to rebuild it.
yeah I nice big flat smooth rock would be good. A few to make the length of the tank or however big you would want the island to be.

EDIT - like Ed says in the post below.....like a wall.

Incredulous_Ed
03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
well, i meant more like a wall.