PDA

View Full Version : cloudy water

gio210
03-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Hello I Have A New 75 Gallon Saltwater Tank Thats A Bout 3 1/2 Weeks Old, I Added New Fish This Weekend And The Water Sems To Have Gotten Cloudy I Replace The Filter But It Didn't Clear Al The Way I Was Wondering If I Should Change Some Of The Water, But I'am Afraid To Stress Out The New Fish, Should I Wait A Couple Of Day Or Do You Recomend A Smal Water Chage???? Please Advise...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Well, first off, what are the water parameters? (salinity, NH3, NO3, NO2, PH4, Alk)
Are you using Live Rock? If so, how much?
What fish did you add and how many?
What kind of filter are you using?

gio210
03-11-2008, 02:59 AM
i did a test and is showing 1.024 saline
i have one live rock
I added 2 clown fish and a lionfish and a bennie lawnmover
i'am using a wet ad dry filter system
what do i do if i have too much salt?

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2008, 03:02 AM
add some FW to balance it out

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-11-2008, 03:05 AM
The problem isn't salt. You actually overloaded that tank. At only 3 1/2 weeks old the tank needs a lot more time to mature. This isn't like freshwater where you can add 4 fish at a time, you have to stock it much slower. The choice of fish probably wasn't too great either. That Lionfish is going to make a meal out of those Clowns at some point and possibly the Blenny as well. You really need more live rock in there. For a tank that size you should have a minimum of 75lbs of live rock. So in all likelyhood, the reason for the cloudy water is a bioload overload. Too much ammonia too fast, the biofilter can't keep up with all the waste that is being produced. If possible you really should return the Lion and the Blenny as soon as possible, otherwise you run the risk of losing all of these fish.

gio210
03-11-2008, 03:33 AM
You Really Think That I Shall Retun The Lion I Make Sure I Got The Smallest I Coul Get And Why Get Rid Of The Blenny Is Actually Big And Is Eating Some Of The Alge..

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Yes I really do think you should return both actually. The Blenny might be eating the algae, but it is actually doing more harm that good right now. That algae is being turned into waste by the fish and the waste is in turn creating the cloudy water issue. Your tank is going to go through a few algae stages in the first 6 months, there is no way to avoid that, and the slower you stock the tank, the more manageable those outbreaks will be. However, the blenny and the lion won't likely survive long enough to see the end of those algae blooms. Remember this one very important thing about a marine tank: Nothing good happens fast.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2008, 03:39 AM
ditto, take it slow

spudbuds
03-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Agreed. Too many fish too fast. That is most likely your problem. However, it would still be good to know your other parameters. Do you have a test kit you can test with?

sharkbite
03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
too many fish at the same time. take it easy buddy.